Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 569 through 576 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Hyco Cam
    Participant

Indeed, Derek has been so, so wrong about Star Citizen!  Nothing he has ever said has been true!  He is such a liar!  Who is Chris’s wife?  I didn’t even know Chris was married!  Heck, I’ve been so busy playing with Star Marine that I haven’t been staying current.  Now if you think Sandi is Chris’s wife–that can’t be right.  You know how I know Sandi isn’t CR’s wife?  Derek was the first one to post proof of not only how smart Yoko Roberts is, but that Yoko Roberts and Sandi Gardiner are the same person!!  But since Derek has never posted anything factual–that must be wrong.  Heck–if Sandi was CR’s wife–why hide that from 2012 until 2015?

Plus, way back in July–I remember how wrong Derek was about Star Marine–telling us that Star Marine would never see the light of day!  Well here I sit playing SataBalls!!  Of course, I’ve named my nutsack SataBalls.  And Star Marine is out–one quick zip and poof–I’ve unleashed the “Star Marine”!!  So, while I figuring out if I am going to buy one jpg ship or six, I’m going to stroke my Star Marine and juggling some SataNuts–what better way to become a fully immersed Star Citizen!  It is either that or stare at the unused disk space that was supposed to hold the game being delivered in 2014.  But none of that matters, water under the bridge, we should focus on the fact that SQ42 is coming in 2016!!  It really, really is!  This time Chris isn’t putting his workers through a crunch just to make a hype video!  This year is going to be different than 2014 and 2015–this year we get to hear SQ42 will be here in 2017 for the first time!!  It is going to be so awesome!!

dsmart
      Keymaster

Original source.

You nailed it in your question… They’re obsessed. He’s their ultimate go-to scape-goat for everything. He is the answer to every and any problem that arises, or will arise, with SC. They can’t not bring him up, even when the subject has absolutely zero to do with DS.

The position of SC fans is this crazy paradox when it comes to Smart.

On one hand,  they say Smart’s a know-nothing, has-been developer who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, etc.

Until some bad news crops up with SC. Then suddenly, the SC faithful somehow find a way to attribute it to Derek.

Hell, I’ve read articles about SC where Smart isn’t even *mentioned*, nor even referred to. Somehow, within the first 2 or 3 comments, people are bringing his name up to dismiss the entire article anyway.

They are absolutely obsessed with the guy.

Here’s something else to consider.

Both LoD and SC are described, by their respective developers, to be in Alpha stage at this point.

Yet, ever notice how, when you point out problems in SC – a game with a budget of over 100 million in backer funding, a huge team, spread across multiple offices encompassing multiple companies… they’ll immediately argue “It’s Alpha! It’s not finished yet! Of course there’s going to be bugs! Be patient!” Doesn’t matter how big the problem may be… simply saying “It’s Alpha!” explains away everything.

Yet, let those same people see even a *slight* bug or glitch in LoD – a game developed by a far smaller team (IIRC, no more than 23 people at most at one point), and self-funded (no backers, no investors, no time-limited sales of jpeg ships) on a small fraction of the budget, and suddenly, saying “it’s Alpha” doesn’t matter. Those same people will say “No. That doesn’t excuse it. There’s no excuse why this game is still in this condition”.

Go look at any of a number of YT vids where people are playing SC and running into some crazy bugs. SC fans will immediately fall all over themselves trying to excuse it away, in some cases, blaming the poster for it. And, of course, it’s almost guaranteed some of them are going to invariably bring up Derek Smart.

The hypocrisy, the double-standards, the spin, the deflections, the denial, the cognitive dissonance, the sheer nonsense that comes from many of the SC faithful is amazing to witness.

Another case in point, if there’s one thing you could never accuse Derek of being, it’s shy with his opinions, or not saying exactly what he thinks, loudly, un-apologetically, and typically, at length. Derek has explained his whole deal with SC numerous times, in articles, in blogs, in interviews, etc. He’s explained *exactly* what his issues are with SC, and *exactly* what bothers him about it, and *exactly* what he’s wanted to see from the start.  He’s stated it, re-stated it and then stated it again.

But, will you ever hear any of his *actual* position accurately represented by any of the SC fans? Nope. Not even close. I don’t even think most of them know what his actual position is. They’re too busy making up their own version of it to be bothered. Intellectual honesty doesn’t seem very important to many of them.

If you are at all interested in hearing Derek’s take on this, and you genuinely and honestly want to know, then go hear it from Derek himself. Don’t go on what the SC fans tell you. Anything they tell you, just ignore it. Don’t listen to it. Whether you’re on one side, the other side, completely neutral, or just purely curious… if you want to know the actual reasons, go to the source.

Someone earlier in the suggested, or asked, if should everything come crashing down with SC, will they all blame Derek for it. That one’s easy… Of course they will. 100% guaranteed. Count on it. And all the while, they’ll be simultaneously calling him a know-nothing, nobody, has-been who doesn’t know what he’s talking about… but was somehow responsible for destroying a game he didn’t have even a single line of code in.

I’m now going to sit here and see how long it takes for someone to accuse me of being Derek Smart on a fake account. That’s another thing. So open are the minds of many SC fans, and so developed are their critical thinking skills, that if you so much as post anything that isn’t bashing DS, you are automatically accused of being him. It’s happened to me 5 times now across various sites, etc. All because someone said something about DS or LoD, and *dared* to say ‘Umm.. no that’s not correct. This is how it is”.

An amazing slice of humanity those SC fans, I’ll tell ya.

dsmart
        Keymaster
          dsmart
          Keymaster

And once again, I have to remind people what an ALPHA (1, 2) is in software development. As it stands, Star Citizen doesn’t even have 10% of it’s features in place.

Star Citizen, in its current state, is NOT an alpha. It is a glorified proof-of-concept (aka tech demo).

Free Fly Week until march 20

lir big
            Participant

And while Chris Roberts can’t release out a FPS mod with 100M$, some other dudes do it with 0$; In their spare time.
              http://imgur.com/gallery/3ln68

dsmart
              Keymaster
                Hyco Cam
                Participant

In my exuberance last night, I forgot the main question I wanted to ask–Tell me again how Derek was banned from Star Citizen?  Where was he hyping LoD?  If I remember the details correctly–not only had Derek never posted on the forums, but he had never even downloaded the alpha.  I had always thought he was the first person banned for impure thoughts/not the right kind of toxic for the community.

dsmart
                  Keymaster

It’s all neatly summarized in the Twitlonger post

Star Citizen – How It All Came To This

In July, after I got wind of the Star Citizen project in trouble, unable to deliver, backer money being wasted, I started to investigate it. 

I got in touch with Chris to try and get some more details from him. He ignored both of my inquiries on LinkedIn and Facebook.

So I continued with my research and subsequently published that first blog, Interstellar Citizens.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

Then, in what can only be described as sheer madness, they lost their minds and made it personal. 

They canceled my backer account, and refunded me. Without my asking.

Then to make matters worse, they sent out a press statement about my being refunded, and my account canceled. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/derek-smart-star-citizen/

Then tried to make it look like I had somehow violated their ToS for the game and the website. 

Problem is 1) I have never posted on their forums 2) I have never downloaded the game due it not being complete nor playable. They actually confirmed this in their legal response letter as mentioned in this blog.

http://dereksmart.com/2015/09/star-citizen-the-long-con/

Then they doubled down when Ben Lesnick in customer service, made a public forum post about it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5304637/#Comment_5304637

All these actions were taken in obvious retaliation for the blog and the fact that it got widespread release in the media.

As you can now see, they simply made it worse by making themselves subject to the Streisand Effect.

They bet on my being completely vilified for writing an opinion based and technical blog. Forgetting that I have been a fixture of this industry for almost 30 years and that sort of tenure has its merits.

So I kept digging and writing. All the while Chris and Sandra kept making defamatory statements about me both in writing and in person. And there are people willing to be deposed under oath about the aforementioned statements.

Viewing 8 posts - 569 through 576 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.