Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 409 through 416 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Quasi
    Participant

I have numerous doubts the crowdfunding cash is going to keep rolling in. In order to do that you would need something to hype, and effective  hype usually comes from the gaming press.  While the gaming press are notoriously corrupt, even they are starting to distance themselves from the mess. The most positive SC articles out there these days  seem to be solidly in the “neutral” camp, without all the optimistic fluff from previous articles. Perhaps that is because the CIG checks aren’t coming in anymore, or perhaps even they see the writing on the wall and are distancing themselves.

No objective observer who is still fence-sitting is going to dump money into this. What would convince them to? Some buggy tech demo totally awesome, feature-rich game play footage? Some toxic mudslinging pleasant conversation in the forums?  Updates and videos on a website that look like more money was put in to them than the actual game?  Nothing short of a PewDiePie level of hype will get people to ignore the numerous other options out there that are LIVE and PLAYABLE at this point.

The only thing that bothers me is that goon leak posted at the top (currently) stating that the warchest has far more than 7mil still in it. Were they able to save a large sum from all the recent layoffs/closures?

dsmart
      Keymaster

@quasi

I have numerous doubts the crowdfunding cash is going to keep rolling in. In order to do that you would need something to hype, and effective  hype usually comes from the gaming press.  While the gaming press are notoriously corrupt, even they are starting to distance themselves from the mess. The most positive SC articles out there these days  seem to be solidly in the “neutral” camp, without all the optimistic fluff from previous articles. Perhaps that is because the CIG checks aren’t coming in anymore, or perhaps even they see the writing on the wall and are distancing themselves.

No objective observer who is still fence-sitting is going to dump money into this. What would convince them to? Somebuggy tech demototally awesome, feature-rich game play footage? Sometoxic mudslingingpleasant conversation in the forums?  Updates and videos on a website that look like more money was put in to them than the actual game?  Nothing short of a PewDiePie level of hype will get people to ignore the numerous other options out there that are LIVE and PLAYABLE at this point.

The only thing that bothers me is that goon leak posted at the top (currently) stating that the warchest has far more than 7mil still in it. Were they able to save a large sum from all the recent layoffs/closures?

I agree 100% with those sentiments. In fact, go look at their funding page right now; it’s completely flatlined. Which means that once the spike from the split happened, that was all over.

The reason they have more than $7M in their coffers – if true – is due to the layoffs, the spike they got from the CitizenCon and anniversary sales from Q4/15. Then going into the new year, they got a spike as well.

The on-going bad PR isn’t doing them any favors and right now, as we have seen with the sales, only the existing whales will continue giving them money. And even they are appearing to be tapped out and fed up.

I can’t wait to see what they pull off next.

Stan Porky
        Participant

Thanks for this.

I don’t see CR making much $$$ from ad endorsements as a % of what he needs.

Every little bit is welcome but  a smarter person would have been doing this sort of thing since the project inception.  You can pay the salary of a sales/marketing professional many times over from the deals they can do to place product or advertise in the way they have with Warner and in a way that doesn’t piss off too many fans.

Obviously someone did the deal with AMD but wtf were they doing since then ?

Hotsauce ShoTYME
          Participant

This is why I have stated for a while their Marketing team is absolute trash.  Just a garbage ass unit.  The hardcore fans love to quote the amount of money raised and I simply tell them that is SALES!!!

The simple fact this game had so much hype and CIG was going to game conventions and not getting a free stage but charging for tickets for its own event separate from the convention is just mind boggling.

pindleton
            Participant

So I’ve tried playing nice with Customer Support, but they just refuse to issue my refund.  Another problem is that I made all of the transactions for my pledges on my debit card through PayPal, and I live in South Korea with few consumer protections.  My bank said that they won’t issue a chargeback.  I’ve contacted the BBB, FTC, ICPEN, and other consumer advocacy groups, but I’ve not gotten any responses.  At this point, my options are quite limited.

Also, after voicing my displeasure on Reddit and the SC forums, I got this little threat on top of a frivolous probation:

Due to forum history you are now being referred for perma review by CIG a further message will be sent following the result of this.

Thank You

Maul218

With my options limited, I’m now seeking information on any ongoing legal action.  Are there any class action lawsuits being prepared yet that I can join in on?  If you have information, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

dsmart
              Keymaster

Hey man, sorry to hear that. Most of us knew this was going to start happening soon; which is why I sounded the alarm last year.

Right now, no class action is in the works, but I do know for a fact that the Feds are aware of the project already. But nobody knows thus far what they are going to do – if anything – and when.

At this point, you have no options but to take a wait and see approach. 🙁

Derrick Avila
                Participant

meanwhile look what popped up on the boards.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319168/to-those-of-you-complaining-about-ships-ptu-releases-progress

a guy is tryin to justify the development process of the game. that first response he got was a zinger lol

Quasi
                  Participant

That first reply is pure gold-pressed latinum.  It illustrates the problem that all this is really stemming from, promising the Moon, and then completely failing to deliver.  Anytime there is criticism leveled at SC it nearly always involves some statement that originated from CIG themselves!

Star Marine delayed/cancelled and people are pissed? That’s because it was promised by CIG and not delivered.  Deadlines missed? Promised, not delivered. Hell, even the whole “missing development year” of 2011 wouldn’t even be an issue if Chris hadn’t been the one to claim he had a year of development already done in order to assure Kickstart backers that work was well underway!

What’s really amazing is that the forum threads are turning against CIG so quickly now. Before you might get one or two critical voices in a 4-5 page thread, now it’s starting right out of the gate! The tide she is a turning.

Viewing 8 posts - 409 through 416 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.