Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 401 through 408 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Josquin
    Participant

Good point.  I remember reading that 2013 quote and being sceptical even back then.

dsmart
      Keymaster

He gets away with it because most of the media simply cannot be trusted. You know this. And that’s why you are seeing other smaller media outlets, calling everything into question.

The issue is not if this going to crash and burn. It’s about when is it going to crash and burn.

Quasi
        Participant

Hardly surprising. When I bought my starter package back in early 2013 (or late 2012, whenever they were still under 9 million) the big selling point was the PU and it’s dynamic economy. SQ 42 was just added as a new feature and many people were upset. The backers weren’t really keen on a single player module as they had all signed up because of the MMO aspects (EVE and WOW were beyond massive at the time). The big worry was that too much attention would be spent on it and not on the main game (PU). That, and people wanting an MMO style game just weren’t interested in a SP game anyway.

Roberts bent over backwards to assure people that SQ42 would be totally optional and you could just jump straight into the PU (the only promise he seems to have actually kept so far!) .  SQ42 was just a little extra stretch goal, but the meat and potatoes was the PU, no worries guys!  Welp, fast forward to today and the PU is on the back-burner and SQ42 is now the main focus. Can’t imagine why people want refunds…..

This is a pure scam at this point. It isn’t even a scam to get the money, it’s a scam to get Robert’s digital ego out there in the form of SQ42.  He went on Kickstarter and promised a multiplayer game, and then later slipped in SQ42 as a “stretch goal” extra. Years later the truth is out. All the money and focus is on SQ42. He only ever cared about SQ42 and could care less about the PU; that’s why he doesn’t even play test builds of it.

Quasi
          Participant

You know, I really with someone would make a FAQ or some other piece of marketing for people who are contemplating signing up for SC.  It would have things like simple questions that any normal person would ask, and then the answer would be one directly quoted from various White knights. It would look something like this:

Star Citizen FAQ

When will SC be released?

Oh God! Not this question again! Don’t you know that AAA games take years to develop and things are difficult with game development so things change constantly!

What do I get for the $x I spend on y  package?

Your contribution is a donation, not a pre-order, you aren’t entitled to anything!

Will the game feature x?

Of course it will! But if it doesn’t, then it’s because you misunderstood what was promised.

I’m willing to bet no one would give money to a project that answered those questions with those answers.  Sadly, no one reads the forums first, they just believe the marketing fluff.

Hyco Cam
            Participant

My take on what I thought I was pledging for back in 2012:

There was only one game–Squadron 42.  But Squadron 42 was supposed to be like Guild Wars II.  You would buy one title–Squadron 42 and Squadron 42 contained the PU.  You could complete SQ42 storyline and quests for ships, reputation, and UEC to spend in the PU.  GTAV did this a year later with GTAV and GTA Online.  The most important piece of the puzzle was Squadron 42 would be released in 2014 and that would allow CIG to stop the crowdfunding and survive on their own merits as a company.

Fast forward a few years and it turns out the only thing that has every gone as planned–selling JPG pictures of ships.

Redrick
              Participant

[quote quote=2590]My take on what I thought I was pledging for back in 2012: There was only one game–Squadron 42.  [/quote]

Do you read this (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description) before pleging?

MDrake SC
                Participant

It’s been a fun few days. It gets better. Apparently goons love trash posting around page 2000.

On Feb 12, goon leak says,

Some very important people all met and decided to …….
                  Pay some existing shareholders for an undisclosed sum.
                  Finalise on another small UK based studio to monetize tax credits and gov initiatives in the UK
                  Introduce new formats to tell people that they have to cut everything in the game pretty much.
                  Concentrate all efforts on episode 1 SQ42 . Now internally accepted as is , will be available q2 or 3 2017. This will involve 6-7 hours terrible cutscene and some minor scripted missions. Fly from a to b kill something , etc.
                  The Stimporer will now be based in the UK 2/3 rds of the year and liase more closely with Germany who are trying to rewrite everything patch by patch.

Pretty much on target if you ask me. Oh, and they don’t have 7 million dollars left or whatever del boy claimed. They have a Lot more …

On Feb 17, goon leak says,

There is no sustainable business model.
                  The plan was to flip the whole thing and sell the entire lot to a big name publisher allowing certain people , lets call them majestic twelve to retire as millionaires.
                  This didn’t happen , the more money came in the more that Chris genuinely believed he could do this.He told the big names to gently caress off
                  So now they have to find a way of monetizing, hence talk of console and splitting up content into separate packages etc.

Even if they shove out a half assed bug ridden mission pack with 100000 of cutscene in it at some point next year they need to shift GTA type units to make a profit because they have to then complete the rest of it stretching into 2020 and I’m not talking about Star citizen here which is simply undo able.

There will be jail time and there will. most probably be deaths connected to this

And on Feb 19, the goon leak has sad news…

Hmmmmm
                  It seems I will have to stop posting for a while. There is a new trailer coming out soon watch out for Craig Fairbrass if they leave him in (He is genuinely a diamond in a sea of horrible 90’s FMV poo poo)

Stay safe commandos and see you in the verse.

I’m sure Derek knows the real story. There is also something else ridiculous, which I may post later if I can find more on it.

My thoughts are Chris Roberts… is a totally autistic, egotistic, complete failure and idiot. His original crowdfunding game with investors filling the rest to $23 million… the real truth. Once CIG hit $23 million, Chris went full steam on money making and burned all of his bridges, just like the arrogant idiot he is. He thought he could get away with it, as long as only he and his closest friends were in the money machine.

Well, as we have seen from the Time Warner Cable commercial, burning investor and publisher bridges was a genius move, courtesy of our beloved idiot. What other companies will he advertise to stay afloat?

Maybe in an alternate world, where Chris could actually handle criticism… he would have shipped a Star Citizen with his original investors, and legitimately made millions after selling out to a publisher. Sorry Chris, but nope. In this world, you are too damn stupid and arrogant to even help yourself properly.

Good luck CIG intern. Your employment status isn’t gonna last long.

Stan Porky
                  Participant

I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as potential pledges for SC.

It is certainly possible that CR can pull in plenty more $$ in funding from Joe Public but it is also certain that the project will continue to have delays and problems that might lead to its demise.

Human nature being what it is – it is going to take a lot to take down the beast because whilst CR maintains a reasonable amount of credibility people who are invested will find it hard to step back and see the wood for the trees.  People will make up all sorts of excuses for themselves.

Absent the involvement of government bodies to protect consumers, there are plenty more tricks up the sleeve to generate funds.

A game can launch and CR will hail it as a deliverable delivered.    How long will people wait for their $500 ship in a PU as described – probably quite a long time as long as there are incremental “improvements” and we are not seen to be past the 5-7 year development mark.

The Idris for example doesn’t seem to be too far off a launch of some sorts.  I would suggest that even if that were to be made hangar ready with a simple interior that would be enough for many backers with other larger ships to give CR another 6 months or so of time .  On the way he can have several more false dawns and give tasters of other ships.

Essentially there is a large pot of crap CR can pull out of the toilet and wave at the fans – if he can do away with Star Marine largely scot-free he can even do away with SQ42 in 12 months time and say the focus has now shifted back to the PU for say integration reasons etc, or a new bit of technology has just come out etc etc ….

Viewing 8 posts - 401 through 408 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.