Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 361 through 368 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    J HOW
    Participant

Never backed Star Citizen, applied for a job there once,  the more I think about what they did and how they did it, the more annoyed I am at the whole thing. Whilst my issue happened before Derek had his account refunded I can assure you my experiences with their hiring practices, Derek does have valid points.  Think my experiences were just scratching on the surface too.

It’s not just the consumer getting ripped off although that if very bad in of itself.  This risks the gaming industry as a whole and when Star Citizen fails it will likely lead to less funding for other games and in the case of game developers – it leaves them without a job and a black smear on the record to whomever worked for them.  Worse still depending on how it fails it does risk large wide reaching repercussions.

Even now they are completely changing their server side environment and making breaking changes without an end goal or documentation on what they want to achieve.  Depending on who you speak to that is 3 – 4 – 5 years of them going without a plan, without a schedule and without a road map.

Can appreciate the sheer WTFery of the situation and of everyone who has been ripped off.  One reason I am now dead set on helping in any way possible is I’ve now experienced first hand (not signed an NDA nor do I want to) on the sheer ineptitude of management towards system operations, devops, and backend.  “Make it great, make it support up to 64 players, make it support 64 bit in a clustered environment, make it multi role and multi instance, make it HA capable, make it work without spending too much time on it” The staffers are trying to implement what they are told but what they are told changes on a regular basis and there is no documentation to go with it – apparently there IS a spec sheet but thus far no one has seen sight of the damn thing.  They are fighting a losing battle with management, it seems thus far that management do not know what a “cluster” is in terms of server side to even begin to understand why that is impossible in their current setup.

I work within the industry and can say hand on heart that it is NOT going to work within their current architecture or backend to how it has been presented.  Suspect this is a reason they have dropped co-op as the attempts to make this work failed drastically to the point absolute failure.  Also for the PU testing of adding more players per instances also failed spectacularly, everything was so badly out of sync the instances crashed shortly afterwards.

Twisted irony is the project management team for a games company don’t understand game development, whilst the community spout that those who raise questions and concerns are told by the moderators and community that they themselves don’t understand game development.  The madness will have to end eventually and where ever the pieces land, it’s unfortunate that ultimately it will result in the loss of confidence in the gaming sector as a whole.

If they deliver anything of note this year I’ll personally be amazed.

MDrake SC
      Participant

Why just popcorn? Let’s include a history lesson and rant to make things even better.

July 30-31, 2015, was the big moment in warning signs. The coop article by PCInvasion was the first big warning sign that CIG would attempt to reduce features. I was outright shocked. This was not announced on the main website, at all. Reducing original features, just like that. Technically, I would call it feature dropping though. This is the event, combined with Derek’s refund that convinced me it has possibly gone scammy, and I needed to pay attention. They were around $87 million funds raised, after all.

Here is one of the big forum threads about coop. Just read the first and second page of comments, and keep in mind, this was in July. Way before the Escapist outbreak. Here is the reddit about it, and comments by Bribase really stick out to me. Some people were happy because they don’t care for coop. Folks really don’t care about getting less for their money. Anyone who was not a cultist began to start wondering if private servers were next to be reduced. Fast forward and well, Lando confirmed that private servers would be missing from launch, on Jan 10, 2016. Only took 4 months…

Technically, the first and most underrated warning sign was the mouse flight model since 2014. Any criticism of it, was put into a Katamari or Mega Thread, as a dumping yard. Feedback being outright ignored, and thrown out was proof that CIG’s developers didn’t care, and Chris Roberts sure didn’t either. Sadly, it wasn’t until Dec 16, 2015, that we would learn that Chris doesn’t even play his own damn game. Gotta give all of CIG credit for successfully tricking people right up until there.

It all made sense. Chris doesn’t play games. He only watches videos of games. What little effort he put into playing Star Citizen at the conventions or even initial pitch was just a marketing stunt. Newtonian space flight, joystick controls, coop campaign, private servers, none of it was ever really addressed. Even trackballs on a joystick… and we finally learned why.

Star Citizen is one of the most fascinating scams ever. Might just end up in a psychological or marketing study.

dsmart
        Keymaster

The revolt is in full swing. Only this time, more and more of the whales (here is a handy chart) are voicing dissent. It’s like an all-out war between whale gamers and Shitizens. It’s glorious. Some samples: A Grand Admiral and a Space Marshal.

dsmart
          Keymaster

If they can identify you, they most definitely will ban anyone they can identify as posting here, agreeing with me in my social media feed, or posting on SA forums. They’ve done it before; and they keep doing it. They don’t seem to do that to Redditors because that’s apparently neutral grounds.

lir big
            Participant

SA forums would be eager of your story. You should definitly relay it there. Some people there posting undercover have insights about what’s going on at CIG.  Your story allegates even more what’s going on. The way they handled your recruitment and had you not hired for the reasons you cited, doesn’t surprise me at all.

Hotsauce ShoTYME
              Participant

This shows how toxic this community truly is.  Someone suggests making improvements to intro material so that people who are unfamiliar with the game at all don’t just blow it off completely (on free fly) because of frustration and inability to do anything and the responses are “Natural Selection.”  That’s not how you build a community.  These people are far worse than WoW trolls.

dsmart
                Keymaster

Stan Porky
                  Participant

Click on the BBC is a reasonably respected show but as you say this was a fluff piece.

SC will get some additional pledges from this but now that Click has reported on it, we should expect them (Click and/or other parts of the BBC) to report back if things hot up.

CR saying he hoped SQ42 would be out this year is telling.  It won’t be but IF the funding doesn’t run out I suspect he has a good six to nine months of hiding behind it in much the same vein as Star Marine was used in 2015.

Do we know much about all those empty seats Click showed as they toured the LA new offices ?

Viewing 8 posts - 361 through 368 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.