Star Citizen – General Discussions

Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 replies - 241 through 248 (of 1,083 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    dsmart
    Keymaster

You can find him on the SA forums (here is a recent post) as well as on my Discord server.

dsmart
    Keymaster

In my Condition Red blog, I had a section about SQ42 and also mentioned what insiders said about a trailer that was supposedly coming to the PC Gaming Show at E3.

So, not only is there now no release date for either Star Citizen or Squadron 42, but now reports remain consistent that, unless they cut and rush, it would take a miracle for even SQ42 episode one to see the light of day before mid to late 2017. Let than sink in.

To add insult to injury, with all the different broadcast shows that they have, not only have they not shown any gameplay footage to backers, but now word is that they are going to be showing a “reveal” trailer at the upcoming PC Gaming Show or failing that, they will show it at the end of June. Yes, instead of showing backers what they have already paid for, they’re going to instead do the reveal at a third-party gaming event. That is how much respect they have for backers who made this whole thing possible.

Sources say that the trailer is about 2:30 mins long, will feature segments (you’re a turret gunner) from the first mission showing both Hamill and your commanding officer, Kelly, in some Godawful scene; and with dialog that makes even the shitty Vandul sequence look like an Oscar worthy performance. Oh, and apparently the only combat sequence is of a Starfarer under some sort of attack and lasts for all of about 30 secs. So basically, the majority of the trailer is of mocap bullshit that has no relevance to gameplay. Essentially, it’s just Chris justifying his expensive mocap shoots and equipment, live actors – and a shitty script that reports say is as cringe-worthy as you could possible expect from the guy who made the Wing Commander movie and a string of horrid movies thereafter. All of which, in case most have forgotten, were buried in yet another failed venture. NOTE: They will most likely change the trailer now. But that’s fine because it’s highly unlikely they will change the game script because of a minor trailer leak. Then again.

Now word is, they’ve pulled out of the show completely. Gee, I wonder why. Could it be because i) they have nothing to show ii) whatever they show of SQ42 would pale in comparison to other offerings? No – that couldn’t possibly be it.

This not only after promising (at last year’s event) to come back this year, but also confirming it with PC Gamer; only to back out.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXpJmxleflw&feature=youtu.be&t=1m42s[/YOUTUBE]

The Star Citizen community is ablaze (1, 2, 3) by this news, as they finally come to the realization that this project is completely FUBAR. Not to mention the fact that neither Star Citizen nor SQ42 is ever going to see a final 2016 release.

The reality of the situation is as I have stated many times already that neither Star Citizen (aka PU) nor Squadron 42, will see a “final” release in 2016. In fact, various sources have indicated to me that SQ42 episode 1 probably won’t see a release until Q4/2017, while others a pegging it at “mid to late” 2017.

One could argue for the complexity of pulling off a game like Star Citizen in an unsuited engine like CryEngine. However, those excuses don’t hold any water when applied to SQ42 which is basically a single player on-rails shooter with Godawful (according to sources) cut-scenes, script and acting.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8[/YOUTUBE]

Yet, as of this writing, aside from an awful December 2015 Morrow Tour reveal above (have you seen it?), and mocap (!) sessions, nobody has seen any game play footage of the game. Not even big media outlets (including BBC, PC Gamer) who were invited to tour Foundry 42 UK (where it is being made) last year.

Oh, and this footage from the same December 2015 Squadron 42 reveal.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Meanwhile…..

dsmart
    Keymaster

The Star Citizen countdown to disaster chart has been updated

dsmart
    Keymaster

As I wrote in the ELE blog, it’s not a single event, but rather a series of on-going events culminating in the final ELE

KurtM
    Participant

Is that the ELE? Looks pretty huge to me.

No, not yet. I would argue that missing or disappointing at Gamescom in Germany could be that ELE. Germany is their second most important market, with a lot of 90ties Wing Commander nostalgia going on here and german players always being big on simulation aspects. Being at the E3 PC Gamer show they are just preaching to the choir anyway, whereas in Germany they could reach an audience that they otherwise couldn’t.

Martijn Otto
    Participant

Two days ago, I stumbled upon SC (I think it was via a comment at a No Man’s Sky review). It looked awesome on the website (the sales pitch basically), so I started looking further. Then I noticed the very expensive packages, the monthly subscription thingy (for news?), insurance (on stuff you own in a game?) and started to Google. Mainly to see if somebody actually would be a backer for 18K). Then I ended up here, and rather than having months to see this unfold, I get the whole circus one after another. It took me quite some time to read, and although I feel really sorry for those who are about to lose their money (and some a huge amount for that) I couldn’t stop reading all this and seeing it all unfold.

So thank you Derek, not only for saving me 50 bucks, but mainly for doing all this and bringing it out in the open. It’s a shame that the 114m hasn’t brought at least some of what was intended and the consequences for the gaming/kickstarter industry may be devastating. But I can’t wait for the next follow up here ;-0

BTW: You made it on EVE forums too (including a White Knight): https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6508652

Oh, and I love to read your (technical) thoughts on No Man’s Sky and on the announcement of Dual Universe: http://www.dualthegame.com/

dsmart
    Keymaster

Star Citizen is #7 in the Top 10 Craziest Crowdfunding projects on watchmojo!

dsmart
    Keymaster

heh, on my Discord channel over the weekend we were laughing about that. Imagine them inviting me. Then I get on stage, go completely off script and off the reservation, and start ranting about Star Citizen, even as I get dragged off stage while screaming LET ME FUCKING FINISH!!

Viewing 8 replies - 241 through 248 (of 1,083 total)
  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.