Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 673 through 680 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Quasi
    Participant

I watched all 3 hours (The full interview is 2 parts, 1 hour and 2 hours respectively) and I really don’t see anything to get worked up about.  At least not what other people are seeing.  Sure he made a couple of remarks about CR changing his mind constantly during development, a little bit of harsh language, and some very irrelevant show-and-tell, but calling this a “breakdown” is about as far from the truth as you can get.  He clearly doesn’t think his job is in danger because everything he mentioned about his job duties he mentioned in the future tense.

He just come off as an awkward nerd trying to figure out how to fill 3 hours of interview time. My biggest concern from all this is how do you have a Community Relations manger that clearly has no actual professional experience. Considering CIG clearly didn’t hire a professional for this job in the first place, then this video is nothing he should be worried over.

dsmart
      Keymaster

You were probably asleep through all of it because we’ve cataloged a bunch of his missteps.

There isn’t a single company whereby after a stream like this – in which he represented the company and product – he would have a job this morning.

e.g.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/721106257541783552

Quasi
        Participant

I won’t deny that I nodded off a couple time (3 hours is a slog for anyone) so I’m sure I missed a few nuggets.  My point is though, CIG isn’t “any other company“. It’s a company that seems to pride itself on doing things as unprofessionally as possible.  They hired this guy for the same reason they they hired many other community relations folks, they were big fanboys.  I just don’t think they’ll send him to the chop block for doing things unprofessionally when that seems to be they way they prefer things.  I could be wrong though.

I am definitely looking forward to that Flub List though.  Should make for great reading.

MDrake SC
          Participant

The progression of the ELE seems to be building momentum. We now have a free flight week to celebrate PAX East (what?), even though CIG is not able to attend (lawl $$$).

But of course that’s never enough. What is April 15? It is TAX DAY in the USA. Another military ship sale until April 22!

And then, of course… another ship sale right after that with the $140 MISC Prospector concept sale. Another mining ship, when there is zero mining gameplay! The $325 RSI Orion isn’t even making progress, since Feb 21, 2015. Yeah, that’s one year ago, and nothing released.

Here’s to hoping Derek can reveal how fake the funding chart is soon (gotta protect sources though). I am certain that 3,000 whales continue to buy as many ships as possible, so that’s $420k for CIG.

Oh CIG, don’t be such a baby. Whale ribs grow back.

(No they don’t)

(Same with directing talent)

Stan Porky
            Participant

They will be buying an airlock ejection door next for the staff that are leaving/get fired.

Stan Porky
              Participant

I don’t think you can reasonably say he doesn’t have experience relevant to doing the job.

He is no inexperienced idiot that has lived in a cave for 50 years.

The fact he is so relaxed in saying what he says and how he says it may well be related how secure he feels in his position but it is usually the case that when companies go belly up, or people get fired that few people know about it until it happens.

The employees at CIG are just as likely to suffer from sunk cost fallacies and other poor critical thinking as the backers and members of the public.

zakan
                Participant

As someone who pledged for the Kickstarter but thankfully only $40, I’ve got to say that watching this disaster sink to the bottom of the sea will be the only joy I get from Star Citizen. That said I do have a lot of empathy for the poor souls that have put large sums of money into the game. I hadn’t read anything about Star Citizen in the last couple of years before finding Derek through the Escapist article, what I’ve learnt is that it was exactly the con job that I predicted. Charging thousands for virtual spaceships is what tipped me off and why I gave up following the project. Also their dogfighting sim a few years ago was like flying a brick in some type of head-on jousting competition, the auto targeting system was irritating and the A.I. abysmal.

As a fellow Games Developer, it continuously amazes me how the industry just burns through money. Also I never thought someone would beat the Curt Schilling mess, at least he had no idea what he was doing.

The most amusing part of the videos I’ve watched is that the majority of the gameplay is getting to the ship. Way to go Chris, $110 million on a ‘Walk to your Starship Simulator’. I’m proud to say that I have that feature in my game already.

The only hope the game has is if someone else takes over the project before all of the Whales are extinct.

Stan Porky
                  Participant

It isn’t the whales buying that’s the real tragedy, it is the people that started off spending $40 or so who are now adding to their total as they get more and more sucked in with the sunk cost fallacy.

SC is like the Trump campaign, the more publicity it gets the more folks come along get sold on the fantasy, believe all the lies and largely free ride the media are giving Roberts and they spend some cash on the “game”

Viewing 8 posts - 673 through 680 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.