Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 641 through 648 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    David-2
    Participant

[quote quote=2857]The most embarrassing Star Citizen footage you’ve seen to date. This is what they are showing as their “procedural planet generation”.[/quote]

I’m not a gamer so I hope a gamer can clue me in here: What, in the SC game (or any game I guess), is the “fun” part of these procedural planets, whether they have realistic atmosphere effects or not?  This video just shows a guy walking around a lumpy but otherwise featureless landscape, though I guess there’s a cliff or something you might fall off of.  I get that it’s just a “demo”.  But obviously there’s more to the gameplay than that.  What do you actually I do on these generated, featureless planets with your characters?  (I mean this seriously: I don’t play these games.) I guess I’m trying to figure out how significant the feature of 1000s of generated planets is to the “final” gameplay.

(*) I don’t play games, I’m just here because first, I like watching train wrecks, and second, Mr. Smart was a guest at a DevGame course session (from Vox Day) and I was interested in what he had to say about game development.

dsmart
      Keymaster

So they created an “unpopular opinion” thread on /r/StarCitizen. Shockingly, it went as expected. In the words of a Goon..

Reading that Reddit thread was like reading 1400 people all channeling their inner Beers and speaking boldly that which they would otherwise never dare admit openly in official forums and threads.

There are 1400 messages, and each one is unique– yet they all are saying the same thing in different ways.

I’m afraid Derek Smart was right.”

If I were you, Derek, I’d finish your business for the day, eat a celebratory meal with your wife, then sit down to your computer with a scotch and a big ass Cuban cigar. Savor every single post. You’ve earned it, man.

dsmart
        Keymaster

There is absolutely no significance whatsoever, other than to “land” on planets because other games (all my games, Elite Dangerous, Infinity Battlescape etc) have done it. Roberts promised hunting, fishing, birds – and a bunch of nonsense that’s just too hilarious to even mention.

And none of it will ever come true because they don’t have the tech to power it, nor the talent/expertise to build it. It’s just another selling point to get backers wound up so they keep spending in the hopes that it all comes true.

dsmart
          Keymaster

Overheard at the water cooler:

Elon Musk used $100 million of his own money to build a space rocket company from scratch and successfully launch a rocket into space before getting actual investors. 

Chris Roberts failed to make fake spaceships with $110 million dollars

Oh, and you have to watch this snippet from yesterday’s AtV.

Joe McClintok
            Participant

Is it just me or is the current size of the PU crazy big?  I found this while checking the RSI forums

HERE

For a person who just got the game and only logged in twice, 26 gigs for what is in the demo/alpha seems incredibly large

dsmart
              Keymaster

Yeah, it’s massive. And most patches aren’t that much smaller btw.

Hotsauce ShoTYME
                Participant
                  dsmart
                  Keymaster

No, this is not joke.

Today CIG created a sub-group of citizens who will be inflited with get access to the earlier builds, rather than expose the janky mess of SC at its jankiest and messiest to everyone. Those in the group will be under an NDA which also provides that the players won’t be allowed to take screenshots/stream. Once again,  determines the decisions of a $110+ million dollar company.

Viewing 8 posts - 641 through 648 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.