Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 545 through 552 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Stan Porky
    Participant

Yes.   You would think that most of these people had never played an MMO before.

Apart from imagining that they are going to get this incredibly complicated experience in SC, they also expect CIG to be able to police the game such that their in game assets are not going to a/depreciate horribly in value in a short space (excuse the pun)  of time  and  b/be very capable of being “stolen” from them as a result of players actions,  if any game launches.

In a sense this is the power of the many fallacies and human behaviours at work here,  that that CR et Al are taping into and the media are not remotely interested (or incentivised) to investigate.

I suppose there are plenty of $200m plus games that have launched and failed to deliver a game to gamers expectations.   As such,  why should there be a cry of foul at this point ?

If you can afford to spend $00’s or $000’s on backing this Kickstarter, then you are arguably well off enough to take the loss and therefore it isnt such a compelling story as evil gamers developer ripped off Little Billy and his christmas or birthday money.

There is really only likely to be concern from most of the media (and the gamers/backers themselves) once the game fails and is well and truly beyond any rescue.

I suppose if the number of backers realistically reached the numbers that typically  buy a  AAA MMORPG on launch (300k+ ?) then we are arguably on a par with the numbers of disappointed, let down gamers we typically see of these MMORPG releases.     Then we might start to see more “journalists” showing an interest in publicising the failure.

I suspect we are going to need to be at least 300k backers and over $300 mil before get to that point though – and what are the chances of that happening before the “game” dies as Derek is variously suggesting ?

Stan Porky
      Participant

Sure, but how are you defining a “whale” ?

I would say that there are several tens of thousands gamers that would sink $1,000 into SC but they will not go much higher than that.

This is people that work, live in a developed country and keep a gaming PC reasonably up to date.

I would not call these people “Whales”

They absolutely have a limit and will get turned off relatively quickly if things go more down hill.

There are going to be many people that have spend $50-$150 that will spend more on a fairly regular basis whilst the illusion lasts.   There is a lot of potential revenue here.

Then there are people that will invest $1,000 plus tailing off who are the ones with a much greater income and level of expectation/delusion etc in CRs ability to deliver etc.

starchip
        Participant

This game will go the way of DukeNukem there is a slow process of fading and eventually forgotten. When DukeNukem announced DN4ever it was at its height, that its hype can even overshadow id software, like Sonic once “surpassed” Mario. They had a dreamer in charge much like CR in someway, the project lost count how many time it changed engine, after some ten years or so, the company went under, its legacy ends with its 1st and last game. When DN4ever finally released 3 years ago, no one give a fuck anymore, gaming media merely mentioned it with 2 sentence in the column. The game is terrible, inconsistent broken mess, with the most polished feature as throwing shit. There was no disappointment no criticism and no excitement, because no one give a fuck anymore, the thing soled a few copy and was quickly forgotten like it never existed.

SC will eventually had all of its features rotten, and revert to a primitive pew pew space fighter game, there is no way to guarantee coherent behavior with multi crew ship that house 100 people, those expansive ships all wreaked early. There is no interest in shipping or mining such activity is convenient target for greafing, and you will never keep up with people buy with real money. There is no content to “explore” because exploration consumed all content. Every “Han solo” was blown up by gang. When all of its great MMO universe fantasy swiped away, the only thing left to do in this tiny PU is pew pew dog fight, brought with real money. Only less 1% of proposed ships survive to the true PU of star citizen. It will be a broken, demanding, high end hardcore game. Then people will sit in their few remaining useless awesome ship looking at the hanger entrance and realize this is the entirety of the game universe and that hanger door will never open, and even this little place will sooner or later evaporate because the server need to run more profitable game.

dsmart
          Keymaster

I personally don’t believe that it will go the way of DNF because it has gained far too much publicity and notoriety. In the case of DNF, it only popped up in the news every now and again because it was taking so long in dev; and not because of all the drama that was playing out in public.

One thing is certain, once this project collapses, Chris is finished in the industry; this time for good. There is no coming back from this.

dsmart
            Keymaster

To imply that it will be a $300M game, implies that it will be around by the end of 2016. It’s end of March 2016, and they are currently at $110M. And given past performance, if funding continues to decline, not only will they not hit $150M by year end, but they will be struggling by then.

As I’ve said before, if they survive long enough see the end of 2016, I will be very surprised.

lir big
              Participant

Well the whales are simply the people that keep buying in on each sales months after months.
                At this point , the whales are :

_ Rich dudes that have never cared for their money , so nothing change here. Certainly a few but certainly not the majority.
                _ Stupid ones that can’t stop because reasons, drying out the every single penny they have left each month. Very sad.
                _ Mentally disabled and depressed people, that are just drawn in the Cult and would need psychological help to get out of this shit. Like this disabled dude who sends his pension paycheck to CR instead, every month.

At this point these are the ones we call the whales and the only regular ones left to keep this shit on life support. There are whales in every game allowing pay-to-win/progress/gives-an-advantage microtransactions . Usually they got a game to play.
                StarCitizen whales are even more willing to add money out of frustration for not beeing able to play a proper game, while they dream about it.
                They have the sentiment to help building this great game with their money. And the cult was born.

The vast majority of people like you and me have stopped giving long time ago.

Also we don’t know if ten of thousands of people gave money after the kickstarter campain. Mr. Smart said it somewhere but really the only number you can be sure of is the kickstarter’s : 34397 .  I would’nt be surprised if we find out afteward that the total number of backers, post kickstarter, was not even 100k. As for the 100M$, all we are sure of is the 2134374$ from it. Nov 2012 was the last time a third party company had knowledge about CIG’s real numbers. Then everything after is CIG’s word for it. Could be legit, part legit or entirely faked.
                About 6-10k+- whales seems correct. There could be also 5 whales and like 5000 fake laundery accounts lol. We’ll know soon. In 2 weeks. Not months. Weeks.

lir big
                Participant

Well more than one would freak the hell out if they’d face and admit how much they were wrong to buy in xxxx$ for non-existent virtual goods. Especially when one can’t afford such.
                  Better have the fix and live the dream.

dsmart
                  Keymaster
                    A few weeks ago, I mentioned that something Star Citizen big was going down. It’s started to leak already. Not by me.
                    Nope, I have nothing to do with this; since legal have told me that each time I write a blog with details, I give them an idea of what we know – then they can plan, prepare etc.
                    This project is completely and utterly FUBAR. In fact, recently a credible source tells me that they KNOW there is no way this game – as pitched – is ever getting done before 2021. But they need to keep raising money nonetheless. They’re currently at $110M, five years and over 500 people later; still a tech demo that for all intent an purposes could very well be a CryEngine4 mod.
                    Since they’re running on fumes, their latest sales attempts at getting people to buy JPEGS, has been a complete bust because even the whales are waking up.
                    “The industry is a very small place….despite it employing thousands of people world wide , there is only really a small amount that control it and have any real clout. Someone on here , I know who , but no hard feelings whatsoever, pasted some of my more predictive posts on Chaos engine, in an industry only forum where there is much speculation and hilarity from people that really do know what they are talking about. The whole industry is laughing their collective sexual organs off at the whole thing. But there are exceptions. Most noticeably one Evangelical young man who is so brainwashed that he will not hear a word said against CIG, the project or the management.
                    Because of this , much of what is discussed here has circulated among the dev staff. I would say 60% think it hilarious, stick it to them etc. 20% Im sure are shitting themselves in case they have any connection to me and 10% are determined to track me and any other dissenters down like wild beast’s, and present our pelt’s before the Stimporer and his consort.
                    Thing is they are now running on fumes both figuratively and ideologically. People realize that this is doomed including the press who are contacting people left right and center. I still maintain that this is NOT a scam and even now in the dying days of Rome the brains-trust still really and truly believe that if they show enough shiny JPEGS and trailers for SQ42 then they will get over this and still produce the BDSSE.
                    Things to look for soon ……
                    There are 3 trailers . Best one has Craig Fairbrass in he is pretty awesome..one will be released soon. The Stimporer is being selective
                    Apparently one of the A listers is not happy at all about being associated with this Fuck up and is currently seeking distance. ……..a lot of distance …….off grid physics distance.
                    The animation system is so fucked they have to reshoot mo cap……The budget set aside for this element of the game has over run by 12 times the initial estimate !!
                    Chris is really pissed about ED I mean really pissed. Its everyone fault but his of course
                    This forum and any forum that has any SC content is read by paid peons CONFIRMED. To be fair , they do adjust policy (with regards public facing issues ) in response. So…..
                    No more of that fake news report bollocks, more dev interviews etc. This in itself is amazing
                    Ben is actually in a really bad way. I am not taking the piss here but please remember he is a human being and is clearly in a lot of trouble .
                    3 ! Yes 3 high profile ship jumpers in the foreseeable.
                    There have also been some rather explosive conversations behind the scenes with some very disgruntled top tier Wales. there is a genuine concern that these people band together ……..
                    Other than that its business as usual: The Vanduul are up for a rethink by the looks of it as they didn’t go across as impressively as was required. Slight concerns about scale/ships are now becoming real panic blockers and the blame game has begun. SQ42 Ep 1 or 10000 will be here next year , late next year .
                    For anyone that still has money in this, if what they want is a visually impressive but really boring first person dog fighting game running at 3 fps with loads or terrible and I mean fucking terrible cutscenes then sit tight it may still happen and you will be very happy.
                    Anyone that bought into this for an open world alternate reality where you can roam the verse and be who you want to be, farming and raping and grieifng and parkouring etc . I suggest that you rethink your investment….. and be fucking quick about it
                    At ease commandos”
                  Viewing 8 posts - 545 through 552 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.