Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    dsmart
    Keymaster

Your story is all too familiar. In fact, they’ve apparently stopped doing refunds altogether and now have a template response.

dsmart
      Keymaster

People kept asking me for the password. So I decided to just take offline until it was finished. I am adding new material from yesterday’s stream.

Blix
        Participant

That is sandis I think.

Chris prefers Italian.

dsmart
          Keymaster
            Daniel G
            Participant

Total amateurs, ofc things can go wrong and your PC might freeze/crash while playing but normally you start up the game before going on a Live stream and make sure things work. 100 mill. dollars professionals at work here!

dsmart
              Keymaster

Well, looks like after convincing Chris to play 2.0 on the holiday live stream, Ben is probably getting fired. Gonna miss that guy.

dsmart
                Keymaster

During the holiday live stream on Dec 16th, not having anything substantial to show, Chris decided to show a proof-of-concept demo running in CryEngine level editor and try to pass it off as something that is coming soon to the game. This was my immediate response:

it’s all smoke and mirrors. as an engineer who has done this all before, I tell CLEARLY how they’re faking it

Note that the procedural generated planets was a $41m stretch goal that was for “future iterations of Star Citizen

Just another piece of tech which, like VR, Star Marine etc will never see the light of day.

Of course the crazies are lapping it all up, trying to make comparisons to ED:Horizons (a released, and working game btw) etc.

I know better. As do some of the people who, like me, have actually worked on this sort of technology before.

It’s nothing more than a glorified CryEngine mod. In fact, there is a tutorial on how to do it, as well as an entire thesis paper on it.

All they did was take the Nyx mining base and put it in the middle of a proc gen height map. Any graphics engineer can clearly see the discrepancy between that base and the height map around it.

Robin A.
                  Participant

I also noticed that there was no large-scale view of the planet, in both videos there was a star behind that probably wasn’t there just for the shiny effect but also to show the planet pitch black without raising questions. That, and the large amount of fog when they are near the surface.

However one can’t deny the showmaking skills of RSI to create such wow effects, even among non-backers, with unfinished or broken techs.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.