Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 841 through 848 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Ranger Man
    Participant

You are right.  I’m glad you got your money back so that’s good.  It is a broken mess.  They keep throwing more and more stuff in it.  It’s like come up with an idea start, get distracted with another, run after it, repeat over and over.

dsmart
      Keymaster

Stroll down memory lane (06-19-2014) as we cross $114 million dollars

CR: “The thing is, I know people get worried–“oh feature creep” and “you keep adding these features”–but you know, we’re building an online game, and that hangar is on people’s machines, the dogfighting module is on people’s machines. We patch it all the time, so feature creep doesn’t really apply in those setups, because normally what will happen with feature creep is “Oh I want to play this extra feature,” and it would always push back when you would roll out the game, because you’d always have to rely on a disc. Whereas now, it’s like, we really like this feature, but it doesn’t mean that you aren’t pushing out the game without this feature, and then just patching it with that feature later on. That’s the kind of approach we’re taking.

So the extra level of funding is pretty great, because it’s allowing me to ramp up a bunch of stuff much sooner than I normally would have been able to. I’ll be able to deliver more features sooner in the cycle. Because originally, when I wanted to do this, I always wanted to make what Star Citizen is with all of these features…but I was being realistic about it. 

I’m pretty sure by the time the game is finished…I don’t know how much the Old Republic budget was, but we’ll probably be up there. Some people say it was 400 or 500 million, and who knows how much of that was marketing. We won’t be up there, but I definitely think that we’ll be, by the time the game is finished, we’ll be at the 80, 90, or 100 million dollar range of funding, and most of it will be all for the game.

Ranger Man
        Participant

That whole first paragraph is pure blowing smoke!  It means nothing.  Only someone who never had be in charge of any project would say that.  Feature creep destroysprojects no matter what the delivery method.

“The extra level of funding is great…” – I love traveling to Italy and looking at vineyards.

“I’ll be able to deliver more features” – didn’t say they would work or be finished <G>.

“I was being realistic” – I lied at first to get the money coming in.

“..all for the game..” – I guess his boat trip was to check out the planet Monaco so he could procedurally generate it.  So I guess the game will have $20,000 coke machines and doors in it?

Mnimic Mnimic
          Participant

Ragdolls and multiplayer often produce funny stuff as they are usually simulated using asynchronous client-side physics processing.

A lot of well known successful and well-made big budget AAA multiplayer games have tons of videos with ragdolls glitches on youtube.

And what about 10$ for like 10 minutes? Are you sure it is in effect right now? And that it is a planned feature?

dsmart
            Keymaster

aUEC is only the “alpha” version of the actual UEC currency which they sell for real money. Once testing is over, aUEC will be wiped and replaced with UEC.

Word is that you will still be able to earn UEC in the PU; but since everything they do now is about making money, nobody knows what form that will take going forward.

For one thing, charging to respawn a ship is just a horrid game mechanic. I mean seriously, think about it. What game – of this type – does that.

So, as in the video example above, if you don’t have 12800 UEC (1000 UEC = $1) to spend on respawning your ship, well, that’s $12.80 (!!!) that you have to pay. What about people who don’t have many ships? Or what about if the ships you have, aren’t suited for what you were just playing?

And if they have already tied this to spawning ships, and the shops, the next step is to sell ships within the game, as well as weapons etc.

And anyone who thinks they’re not going to start selling UEC once they get this mechanic sorted out, is a fool. I mean ,why wait until the game is finished, when you can continue to fleece backers right now? This was the whole point of implementing shops and currency under the guise of “persistence” (a misnomer) when the game itself it largely incomplete.

And btw this sort of mechanic was never disclosed to the backers who, after having paid for the game – in full – now have to continue paying in order to play.

dsmart
              Keymaster

So someone compiled backer Lesabre’s posts on the RSI forums. It has some worthy gems in there.

“How many games do you know that take a dedicated fps engine and mess up the fps part so bad it’s like going back 15 years and playing ancient fps games? Please tell me so I can laugh at them instead.”

“People like me are here to kick CIG up the ass when they go wrong, when they don’t seem to be acting as good stewards with the publics money (it’s still the publics money until the product is delivered, they do not own it until you own item), and to occasionally laugh at the odd idiot who thinks we are here to ‘ruin’ everything for everyone else (its a forum, what the hell could I possibly break or alter?) and to laugh at the ones that really don’t seem to be playing the same PU as the rest of us, you know those, the “omg this is so impressive!! The door actually opens omg!!!1!!!11 I fell throught the floor omfg!!!1!!!11 I can fly in empty space squueee!!1!!!2 *fap/fart/feint*” like they’ve never played an open world game before.”

“I think 10% is a very high ratio for what is there and how it’s delivered, putting what is currently avalible from 2.4 in list form and then stacking it alongside the stretch goals and the other various things planned makes 2.4 look like a very small and singular step up a very long flight of stairs.”

And yeah Lesabre formula of the CIG “success”:

Ships:

1. Show off something new

2. Hype the thing constantly

3. Sell the thing for real money as concept

4. Delay the thing

5. Forget the thing/break the thing

6. Show off something new

7. Go to 1.

Gameplay systems:

1. Show off something new

2. Hype the thing constantly

3. Pitch the thing as “never done before” regardless of truth/accuracy of statement

4. Delay the thing

5. Forget the thing/claim it’s already done

6. Forget that it’s “already done” and tell people “it’s coming”

7. Go to 1.

Game world:

1. Show off a big number of locations

2. Hype them up

3. Pitch them as “Incredibly detailed” and “interactive”

4. Delay them

5. Forget about them

6. Show off something new

7. Go to 1.

SJ Parkinson
                Participant

As this is a pre-Alpha, we should recognize common sense and not call this Build 2.4.

Instead, it should be Build 0.24.

Frankly, if we take into consideration the promised items that have made it into the build so far, it should be Build 0.024.

dsmart
                  Keymaster

In my Condition Red blog, I had a section about SQ42 and also mentioned what insiders said about a trailer that was supposedly coming to the PC Gaming Show at E3.

So, not only is there now no release date for either Star Citizen or Squadron 42, but now reports remain consistent that, unless they cut and rush, it would take a miracle for even SQ42 episode one to see the light of day before mid to late 2017. Let than sink in.

To add insult to injury, with all the different broadcast shows that they have, not only have they not shown any gameplay footage to backers, but now word is that they are going to be showing a “reveal” trailer at the upcoming PC Gaming Show or failing that, they will show it at the end of June. Yes, instead of showing backers what they have already paid for, they’re going to instead do the reveal at a third-party gaming event. That is how much respect they have for backers who made this whole thing possible.

Sources say that the trailer is about 2:30 mins long, will feature segments (you’re a turret gunner) from the first mission showing both Hamill and your commanding officer, Kelly, in some Godawful scene; and with dialog that makes even the shitty Vandul sequence look like an Oscar worthy performance. Oh, and apparently the only combat sequence is of a Starfarer under some sort of attack and lasts for all of about 30 secs. So basically, the majority of the trailer is of mocap bullshit that has no relevance to gameplay. Essentially, it’s just Chris justifying his expensive mocap shoots and equipment, live actors – and a shitty script that reports say is as cringe-worthy as you could possible expect from the guy who made the Wing Commander movie and a string of horrid movies thereafter. All of which, in case most have forgotten, were buried in yet another failed venture. NOTE: They will most likely change the trailer now. But that’s fine because it’s highly unlikely they will change the game script because of a minor trailer leak. Then again.

Now word is, they’ve pulled out of the show completely. Gee, I wonder why. Could it be because i) they have nothing to show ii) whatever they show of SQ42 would pale in comparison to other offerings? No – that couldn’t possibly be it.

This not only after promising (at last year’s event) to come back this year, but also confirming it with PC Gamer; only to back out.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXpJmxleflw&feature=youtu.be&t=1m42s[/YOUTUBE]

The Star Citizen community is ablaze (1, 2, 3) by this news, as they finally come to the realization that this project is completely FUBAR. Not to mention the fact that neither Star Citizen nor SQ42 is ever going to see a final 2016 release.

The reality of the situation is as I have stated many times already that neither Star Citizen (aka PU) nor Squadron 42, will see a “final” release in 2016. In fact, various sources have indicated to me that SQ42 episode 1 probably won’t see a release until Q4/2017, while others a pegging it at “mid to late” 2017.

One could argue for the complexity of pulling off a game like Star Citizen in an unsuited engine like CryEngine. However, those excuses don’t hold any water when applied to SQ42 which is basically a single player on-rails shooter with Godawful (according to sources) cut-scenes, script and acting.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8[/YOUTUBE]

Yet, as of this writing, aside from an awful December 2015 Morrow Tour reveal above (have you seen it?), and mocap (!) sessions, nobody has seen any game play footage of the game. Not even big media outlets (including BBC, PC Gamer) who were invited to tour Foundry 42 UK (where it is being made) last year.

Oh, and this footage from the same December 2015 Squadron 42 reveal.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Meanwhile…..

Viewing 8 posts - 841 through 848 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.