Star Citizen – Interstellar Pirates

Main Star Citizen – Interstellar Pirates

• Creator
    Topic
    dsmart
    Keymaster

My new blog is going live in the AM. It was finished but at the last minute, something came up that legal needed me to source.Once you read it, you’ll see why.

By the time I got around to doing that, it was already late and I was busy with other things.

The blog will go live at this link tomorrow morning at 10AM EST

Viewing 8 replies - 57 through 64 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    george r
    Participant

The main points are that they missed their own targets, and they’re using public money to develop this game. Of major concern is their continued selling of non-modelled ships to continue funding an operation that has very little to show for it, while constantly missing their own targets. You have more than a dozen ship models that need by Derek’s estimation $40k to model that isn’t done, on top of a game that isn’t functional. A game that has under constant development by over 300 people, some of whom are vets in the industry, and is still in alpha after 4 years raises red flags.

Add on the allegations that donation money is being used for private reasons and not for the game and now people have the right to get answers. If CR put his own money into this project and didn’t accept a penny of donations then he can do what he wants, and private investors can sue him for any breach of contract. There is an accountability issues here besides the game itself not being finished.

sezmra
    Participant

Whoa, didn’t expect to see one of my former friends(Wulf Knight) from the early 00s being an insatiable “white knight” of hinky vaporware developers.

That blew my mind and made me kind of sad.

*WOOSH*

dsmart
    Keymaster

I hope you’re sitting down, not eating or drinking anything when you watch this.

dsmart
    Keymaster

@anthony Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. And yeah, that Gizmondo thing threw me for a loop. But that’s the sort of thing that happens when you go digging.

As I’ve said before (in my blogs), I will say it again, I too do not believe that Chris and co set out to cheat or scam anyone. But the fact is that, nobody how you look at it, there is lots of evidence to support improper conduct, spending etc. But it’s up to the authorities to determine whether or not any wrong doing does in fact exist.

All I know is that they made a promise, have failed to keep it. And thus far, they have reneged on the most important accountability aspect that they promised backers. That being, to provide refunds and accounting for the project if they failed to deliver within one year of the estimated delivery date. And thus far, they have failed to address it.

dsmart
    Keymaster

@hyco Yeah, it will be truly hilarious to watch if they blame me for the inevitable collapse.

Quasi
    Participant

Another video on the Star Citizen drama. Sadly it doesn’t add anything new to the discussion, it’s mostly just a brief review of “where we are now”.

https://youtu.be/SpyUYDdgxoQ

Note: He does make a mistake when he said Elite Dangerous is ripping off Wing Commander’s gameplay. The original Elite came out about 4 years prior to WC. And seriously, how many times do I have to read/hear people say “Derek Smart is a massive piece of shit, but I agree with everything he has said.”? Damn Derek, do you wake up every morning and piss in the mixing machine at the Corn Flakes factory or something?

Hyco Cam
    Participant

When Enron collapsed, or the Madoff ponzi scheme exposed, or the mortgage industry tanked–who caused that? Was it the journalists that initially reported on the looming troubles? Or was it the fault of those managing the businesses? Would the mortgage industry been just fine if they kept handing out loans to unqualified folks and bundling the loans as long as no one said anything? If star Citizen nevers sees the light of day–blaming some guy’s blog is a bit of a stretch. After all, all Derek has every done is claim stuff like “Star Marine delayed indefinitely”. Then in October, we find out–yeah Star Marine is no longer a deliverable. So Derek did that? Or maybe upper level management at CIG just wanted to make Derek right?

Hyco Cam
    Participant

Meat, you are leaving out one key part of Star Citizen’s timeline. The Why and the Who. Why are folks expecting a game? Sure you say that games take a long time to develop. But WHY are people expecting something in 2015 and WHO told them what to expect? We have been hearing from the CEO of the company–Chris Roberts himself that we would have Squadron 42 in 2014, and then told it would be 2015, and the latest date is 2016. These aren’t the fans saying, “The game will be here in 2015”–it is the CEO of the company.

That more than anything is what has put me off the project. The folks in the company continue to give optimistic dates while the backers back them up–with “I don’t expect anything until 2017”. Nobody else seems to think it is a little off that random internet folks understand how long Star Citizen will take to create better than the man leading the project. Which leads me to the conclusion that either Chris Roberts is clueless about game development or he is intentionally giving optimistic dates to encourage people to back the game.

Viewing 8 replies - 57 through 64 (of 184 total)
  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – Interstellar Pirates’ is closed to new replies.