Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 689 through 696 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    dsmart
    Keymaster

BACKERS BOUGHT A DOOR.

So a couple of weeks ago, an image of a custom built door showed up on social media. Naturally, with backers and the general public commenting on the project’s wasteful spending (e.g. all the expensive Restoration Hardware furniture at the same new LA office), this too turned into another hot button subject. Doorgate!

Responding to backer queries, CIG denied that it was expensive. In fact, in an RtV stream, they claimed that it was a standard wooden door on a door opener.

Then a backer emailed CIG customer service seeking answers as well. He too got a similar response.

As these things tend to go, a bunch of Goons went digging. The results are, well, interesting.

As it turns out, not only is the framework by Stanley Access, but also that particular size, dimensions, is about $17K. Even if the whole contraption does in fact include wood or hollow dry wall, including professional installation (as seen in the images), that entire vanity contraption is estimated to have cost backers around $20K.

For a freaking themed door! See it in action!

This is to a company that’s thus far been given $112M to build a game – which is over two years late, and is now on the record as being delivered (LOL!! that will never happen) without all features promised.

When this shit-show collapses in the coming months, these are the sort of things that backers are going to look back on and ask themselves how on Earth they allowed this sort of thing to happen.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="1920"] Backers now own a themed door[/caption]

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDj1Us0M9P_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDoflfIBHz9

Joe McClintok
      Participant

The original picture shows the door in a corner.  The pictures in your post show it against a flat wall.  Is it just the other side of the door or do they have more than one of those door installed?

Quasi
        Participant

It’s just the other side of the door.  Look at the video when the door opens and you can see the lobby/hall with the (very expensive I’m sure) futuristic city mural on the walls.  The still picture is taken from the lobby side showing just how big that mural is.

And no effing way that thing is hollow wood, look how slow it opens (in the original vid, not the one posted here), it is probably much heavier than your typical aluminum and glass door.

dsmart
          Keymaster

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500"] Them Shitizens. So funny.[/caption]

Shitizens at it again.

So yesterday I got wind of this image (update: removed after being reported) they put up, claiming that they had taken down a Glassdoor review I had written.  Fact is, I had nothing to do with it. When someone mentioned it on SA forum, I went and took a look. Then I checked with a source who knew who wrote it. Then I tweeted about it.

The original review: (as posted on Twitter)

In typical fashion, they were bragging it about it on a Reddit (update: thread now removed after being reported).

What got to me is the fact that, aside from harassing, attacking, abusing anyone (gamers and media alike) who expresses any dissent against this project, while accusing them of being Derek Smart alts, they could actually pull off a stunt like this. It sets a terrible precedent. So I decided to do something about it. I wrote a blog (awaiting response to my email before I make it live), and wrote to Glassdoor this email.

We simply cannot allow these anti-social clowns to do stuff like this because they will continue to do it.

Hello,

The reason for my contacting you is to inform you that you have been misled into removing a review that recently appeared on your website.

Specifically this one:

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm

The company CIG has been embroiled in a social media firestorm these past months, having received over $112M from backers and never delivering the product which was promised to be delivered in Nov 2014.

That has sparked many media articles, social media wars, including several blogs from myself. In fact, this article from gaming publication The Escapist, is one you should read.

Some of the anti-social misfits, posing as Star Citizen fans, have been doing everything they can to harass, attack, abuse, and intimidate dissenters of this project; gamers and media alike.

So it came as no surprise that they reported this employee review and got it removed. Then tried to tie it to me; though I had nothing to do with it, nor did I write. You can see that discussion over here on Reddit (where else?) after they did it; then went and bragged about it.

I am in the middle of a 5K word blog about specifically this Glassdoor issue; but I wanted to reach out and give you folks the opportunity to review/research this carefully and to restore the review as-needed.

All you’ve done is enabled harassment and intimidation of employees and contractors who would now refrain from posting on Glassdoor knowing that if it’s not flattering, they can have it removed. Which is great, because then they’ll just go tell their stories to the media instead.

What you have condoned here, goes against whatever it is your site is trying to do because, rest assured, this Star Citizen project is dead. And with over 500+ people having worked on it these past five years, even if 1% bothered to share their experience on your site, that’s a sizable number of people who would other not even bother because of incidents like this.

That is all.

– Derek Smart

dsmart
            Keymaster

So apparently Goons have found Chris Roberts car dealership biz. Yet another failed business venture he was running prior to Star Citizen. This explains everything. And that’s the same biz address as his other corporations (1, 2).

Remember how in my latest blog I said that he evolved from a game designer into a salesman?

Aside from that, I had already said that his missive to me and The Escapist about his “opulent” lifestyle prior to Star Citizen, was pure bullshit.

dsmart
              Keymaster

Oh this just keeps getting better and better. This an RSI/CIG response to someone reporting them to the BBB when his refund was denied.

letitfail
                Participant

I listened to the recording of the recent stream on crowdfunding Derek participated in. Some intriguing ideas were discussed such as insurance/escrow to counter the doom that has been present in a number of projects that are funded at a high value. It is definitely an issue Kickstarter should be looking at to prepare for possible hostile conditions in a post Star Citizen failcascade world. Although yeah no easy answers. Taking insurance, say someone promises game A, which blows into BDSSE!! game B after initial funding and gets released as shit tier MVP game C. Would a payout occur in such a scenario? Not necessarily. Other pitfalls might be an unwillingness of coverage greater then a certain number of cents to the dollar, policy time frames (with value consumed over time) and restriction of payout to original backers who register in a limited time frame after project failure. Anyway it will be interesting if crowdfunding does find an answer. Which may very well be to leave things as they are.

Of course from the sounds of it, the shitizens were banging their pots and pans in chat. That continued into the comment section with among the usual pointless crap they spew out is the ever hilarious line that they are having fun in Star Citizen. However I feel commendation is well deserved to the the person responding to them with “And sure, some people even have fun eating shit. That’s not the point.” Pretty much that right there. Even if the shitizens are able to somehow draw out ‘fun’ from SC, it is all over this year or next. Enjoy your MVP if you get even that.

Joe McClintok
                  Participant

Look at the current state of Star Citizen and then check out this indie project in development

Gameplay Video from January

Project Info

Pretty sad when you think this was made by a few people using Unity compared to the mess that is Star Citizen with a 110 million dollars and over 300 people.

Viewing 8 posts - 689 through 696 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.