Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 489 through 496 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    starchip
    Participant

I don’t know did anyone point this out, it has to do with SC’s art direction. Everything is as complicated as you can imagine, like they cant find a better way to cram in as many polygon feature as possible, all those ships are way over detailed for their own good, everything in your sight has like 100 moving parts. Worse is those aren’t pure eye sour. It seems SC want those “parts” to have a meaning, which means each one is an object that has a roster of status to keep track, engine avionic weapon and other modules. The complicated ship objects has damage status, damage visual effect. Add this on top of the ship variety with complex state to set them apart, add all of these to FPS perspective, to the “seamless loading”. While everything is rendered in Crysis like visual. Most PC can barely run this standalone, even the high end gears cannot fully take on this challenge. Now this is “standalone”, SC is an MMO that play over the internet, there will be a shit load of data to transmit, things are already lagging and broken with handful people testing, what will happen when you have like something 100 multi-crew ship screwing around the verse in the same server at same time? Remember this is just for a bunch ships in void, the game also promise rich environmental factors in a unbelievably large universe, things like you can access every detail on a map, procedural generated planets, and remember, all of these are rendered in Crysis graphic. Are we going to have a dedicated fiber optic express just for this? Im not familiar with internet gaming, but I suppose there is a reason why internet game usually cant look as good as standalone game. MMOs like WOW was way behind in graphic even back then, does that have a thing to do with “bandwidth”?? Correct me if Im wrong. I predict they cant even deliver 10% of their promise, when money is running out, there will be cuts, rushes, and desperation to cover their ass, the final product will be totally FUBR, poor fans may keep looking their ship in a hanger while it last, playing in the real verse can be dangerous, sense the program is unpredictable, 1000 dollar ship can disappear for no reason, once its gone in the verse, its are gone. The dev is in full steam to model JPEG, cook more staged demo, milk the last of the hardcore fans down to the last penny.

dsmart
      Keymaster

[quote quote=2675]

I don’t agree that most of what you said is what actually happened. [/quote]

That’s fine. But it only means that you haven’t been keeping track or keeping up.

dsmart
        Keymaster

[quote quote=2677]I don’t know did anyone point this out, it has to do with SC’s art direction. Everything is as complicated as you can imagine, like they cant find a better way to cram in as many polygon feature as possible, all those ships are way over detailed for their own good, everything in your sight has like 100 moving parts. Worse is those aren’t pure eye sour. It seems SC want those “parts” to have a meaning, which means each one is an object that has a roster of status to keep track, engine avionic weapon and other modules. The complicated ship objects has damage status, damage visual effect. Add this on top of the ship variety with complex state to set them apart, add all of these to FPS perspective, to the “seamless loading”. While everything is rendered in Crysis like visual. Most PC can barely run this standalone, even the high end gears cannot fully take on this challenge. Now this is “standalone”, SC is an MMO that play over the internet, there will be a shit load of data to transmit, things are already lagging and broken with handful people testing, what will happen when you have like something 100 multi-crew ship screwing around the verse in the same server at same time? Remember this is just for a bunch ships in void, the game also promise rich environmental factors in a unbelievably large universe, things like you can access every detail on a map, procedural generated planets, and remember, all of these are rendered in Crysis graphic. Are we going to have a dedicated fiber optic express just for this? Im not familiar with internet gaming, but I suppose there is a reason why internet game usually cant look as good as standalone game. MMOs like WOW was way behind in graphic even back then, does that have a thing to do with “bandwidth”?? Correct me if Im wrong. I predict they cant even deliver 10% of their promise, when money is running out, there will be cuts, rushes, and desperation to cover their ass, the final product will be totally FUBR, poor fans may keep looking their ship in a hanger while it last, playing in the real verse can be dangerous, sense the program is unpredictable, 1000 dollar ship can disappear for no reason, once its gone in the verse, its are gone. The dev is in full steam to model JPEG, cook more staged demo, milk the last of the hardcore fans down to the last penny. [/quote]

That, right there, is the primary part of the problem and why they can’t build the game promises. Aside from picking the wrong engine, it’s like nobody sat Chris down and told him that for the level of visual fidelity that he wants the game to have, it simply won’t work. That aside from all the features he wants to cram in. And of course, it’s only pre-Alpha (they say its Alpha, go figure) now, yet these performance issues are evident. And it’s not like there’s much room for optimizations when you’re already using a baseline engine (CryEngine) that’s already as optimized as possible. Remember back in the day when CryEngine made people’s machines bleed?

dsmart
          Keymaster

$110M + 5yrs + 500+ people (at its peak). This is pre-Alpha (they say its Alpha) 2.2

lir big
            Participant

As usual excellent work. This guy is the master of satire videos.

@Derek , did I dream it or have I seen you wrote twice about ‘ 7 years – 150m$ ‘ somewhere. I believe it was on twitter and only now I recall of it. What was that about? I mean really? or  was it just a joke.

lir big
              Participant

Yeah, since then we’ve learned , thanks to leak dudes and CIG itself (sources DSblog, SA forum, The Escapist, CIG), that the key-word at cig is about rushing the features development so they can move on as fast as possible with no intent of re-pass afterward. We know it’s true seeing the state of the ‘game’ indeed ,and the  only things beeing ‘worked’ onto and re-pass by are the ships, the marketing content and the mocap holidays for Chris and Sandi. No wonder why they fucking never fixed anything that has been released. Katamari’s joystick and cutlass trheads will just go on forever . And anyway lol, backers “suck” and are “dinks” ( source : Ben Lesnik ), so they can just go get the finger instead.

dsmart
                Keymaster

Yeah, it’s an on-going gag on Twitter. 🙂

dsmart
                  Keymaster

Yes, 2.2 patch is a botched and broken as was last reported.

Viewing 8 posts - 489 through 496 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.