Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 937 through 944 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    dsmart
    Keymaster

Another day, another Star Citizen CS gem. So Major Tom (maker of hilariously unflattering videos) has been banned

dsmart
      Keymaster

Another day, another uncovered art plagiarism accusation.

Ranger Man
        Participant

The power of deluding oneself is enormous in humans, Atro. Citizen Con (does that stand for Confidence game <G>) is October, only four months away.

No technical hurdles like network code.  I guess a helmet floating in space, pushing NPCs through walls is not technical and accepted game play.

MOCAP and animations completed – hmm, ask the devs.

Teams are streamlined – well yeah, a lot have quit so there are lots of vacancies.

Linear storyline – It still takes tons of stuff to back up that linear storyline

CR knows what he is doing – I died laughing here. First, all the proof we have that he doesn’t know.  Second, he did not do all of WC.  Someone else was project lead and probably kept CR in check.

Having to invent tech???? Uh, everything I’ve seen has been done before by many other companies – and better.  Mass effect, COD in space, No Man’s Sky, etc.  all coming out soon.  They don’t have headless helmets and falling through boundaries such as wall and  floors.

Aeonmoon – “Game development is hard to predict, especially in this case where new ground is being broken outside of the standard game recipes.”  Uhh, you mean like headless helmets, walking through walls.  Sorry most games don’t have that because it’s not supposed to be there.  If you want it you can turn off clipping if the game allows it (Quake II did).  FPS – hmm, Castle Wolfenstein anyone – the first FPS I played.  MMO – WOW, other online games going back to what, the 90’s.  Persistant Universe – been done before.  You mean it’s hard to predict when you incompetent, micro managers running a company.

dsmart
          Keymaster

I woke up to a mass of emails, messages etc about the June 2016 ToS going live. Note that I had expected that they would do this. But I am literally shaking with rage as I read and compare the new with the old. I will have a blog up soon.

In the meantime, all ToS related discussions should take place in this ToS thread. I have moved the ones that were posted here.

This is bad. Very bad.

Backer42
            Participant

German magazine Gamestar is still advertising Star Citizen with a release date of 2016 as if nothing happend:

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen/news/star_citizen,48820,3273905.html

They even pretend, developers already have playable “PG planets”. We all know this simply isn’t true.

lir big
              Participant

“Ben Lesnick Developer.”  caught me again; truely never fails.

About the Atro guy he’s the perfect example of why we gave money to CR in first place. Self conditioning forced by the use of technical terms usally known only by the gaming buisness industry.
                “I’m trying to read between the lines with all the information that comes out and really think we are closer than we think. ”
                So you would say with “all the information” this guy could have given some sources? yet after readingbetween the lines and sorting that out he can’t give more than a vague thought .
                “Than we think” . A shy attempt to declare the project is not progressing after all?
                “technical” hurdles : This is an instant in time when he’s aware he doesn’t have a clue of what he’s talking about. The use of the ” “.
                Then every point is fanboyism without any self questioning.
                He never gives any consistent sources to support what he’s saying, so you just have to take his word for it, the same way he took CIG word for it.
                Shitizens will say the sources are all over RSI website for anyone to see. But we know there’s nothing to find so you’ll have to speculate and this is what he’s doing.
                Indeed there is so much information – “all the information” as Atro says, that it gets people brains overwhelmed with 99% of irrelevant matters.
                For those who know a bit about intelligence and hardcore commercial methods, this is a way to brainwash and conditioning people’s minds .

Then another condition that made CIG successfull, is by introducing technical terms you don’t know about if you’re not into software industry, and thus making it cool to use for standard backer. And since it’s cool to use and makes you smart then why not using them .

_ Streamlined
                _ network code
                _ MOCAP
                _ Procedural Generation
                not in his post but still you hear that a lot :
                _  Alpha
                _ Pipelines
                _ Merging codes
                _ Persitence ( lol that one omg)
                _ so many more terms CIG is spoiling us with.

I’m not a software engineer here, I don’t know wtf a “networrk code” is or a what “streamlined” does.
                But nevertheless it’s cool , I’m speaking like a developer now, I can interact with CIG and be and active part of the dream.
                So lets just take CIG and Shitizens words for it and pretend everything is Okay.

Ranger Man
                Participant

It is horrible and makes me angry.  But we should not be surprised. They’ve been dumping on backers for a long time now with their evocati nonsense, paid access to alpha, announcing at a games conference to the world instead of the backers (if they had anything to show and were actually going to attend).  As someone said they are desparate and it fits in with their stalking of people on social media and canceling accounts.  They want total control and not accountability.

Hmm, wonder if the stalking could be legally actionable?

For us in the US about all we can do is file another complaint with the FTC and BBB and hope that if the FTC gets enough complaints they will go after CIG/RSI.  I’ve written off my Grand Admiral purchases so not it’s the principle.

If there were a class action suit I’d join.

Personally, I think they are close to going under and are preparing for the exit of the CR and his buddies.  They have probably moved as much money as they could out of the companies and to where it can’t be touched by lawsuits and backers leaving a minimal amount in CIG/RSI, etc. but it’s where CR can get to it.  They may even have already picked a country with no extradition treaty to “visit” <G>.

For those under EU and Australian law – go for your refunds.  We in the  US envy your consumer protection laws!

dsmart
                  Keymaster

I’m concerned about this game | The sad truth

Preemptive apology about bad grammar.

EDIT: THIS IS MORE THAN JUST A COMPLAINT ABOUT RELEASE TIME.

I backed it quite a while ago and back then had a gtx 770. The game was pretty laggy on it and the motion blur made me sick. All I could do was dick around in a couple hubs and look at my ship in the hanger. I come back a year and a half later with a gtx 970 and not too much has changed.

For a game that promises the universe it’s funny that the actual additions are so few. I find myself on the website and am literally being sold some upgrade, some package, some ship- nonstop. I read about how the game was supposed to be done by 2014 but then feature creep kicked in.

I read about the Cryengine being used and find out that it’s not so good at creating huge seamless areas. It’s also not really good at handling multiple connections so mmo style worlds are very difficult; likely for a project this size a whole new engine would actually need to be created in order to avoid the inherent limitations of the cry engine, that buggyness on my 970 is because the CryEngine can’t handle the uber-multiplayer, it’s the wrong tool for the job. As an example look at this list of CryEngine games: What do you notice about their nature? Unless, of course the goal is to keep creating shiny assets in the CryEngine creator to sell to backers for hundreds of dollars, again, it’s not really the right engine given the goal.

These assets sold to players raise other questions: How will these items be balanced? Will the game just start with some players having OP items or will players that paid thousands of dollars get angry at the revelation that their spending offers no real advantage?

I look at the original kickstarter page and find non-stop comments from angry individuals that the game is failing to deliver, has become a money sucking entity and is missing deadline after deadline. Many want their money back, but you see pledging doesn’t offer individuals the same legal protections that investors have. All early backers get is hype and small additions drip fed to them without a real deadline or clear route to success.

Graphically the game is good but then again Star wars battlefront came out this year. The game play is casual but graphically it is amazing. Dare I say, better than star citizen? hell I get 70fps with the mod on. From a conceptual point of view techniques like photogrammetry make it easier to make a game today than than it did 2 years ago. In a way Star citizen is trying to be a game of the future but with the technology of today. Games that set reasonable deadlines that they force themselves to commit to get somewhere before ending up in development hell. You see, ambition isn’t a bad thing, but we can’t forget that time keeps flowing and technology keeps evolving: Time will be spent, effort will be made and ultimately we will find that new technology has come out and everything needs to be re-done. New cards will come out, new engines, new operating systems will be released and they will all require much code to be re-written, re-optimized, re-patched.The spaghetti will grow.

In addition to that, in the further channels I read reports of heavy levels of censorship in star citizens forums. People asking about deadlines, progress, or anything really related to getting something serious done, towards final goals or to certain questions referring towards allocation of funding are generally swept under the rug. Only posts about ‘Ohh shiny’ or ‘I’m new, how do I do this’ or general nerding about are allowed. This is what really frightens me, when organizations have something to hide, you got your MLM’s like amway, Scientology, and North Koreas. You know something is off; something is wrong. There is an illusion being created for all those that are within but ultimately they are the ones being fucked over.

You see when games normally develop you work on the core first, you make the world and you use placeholder models and ships and guns so that you know that functionally the game is fine. This is backwards development, I’m not sure this is viable, unless hype is actually the product.

Reading about the history of the creator I find that he has a bit of a tendency to over promise, give grand dreams and ultimately, not deliver. Riding on past successes. He’s got that enigmatic L.Ron Hubbard personality that knows what his audience wants to hear and thats what he gives. This game will not be a failure, no, not for Chris Roberts, he’s already sold it and made the money there very little legal obligation to actually succeed.

Remember that essay or project in school or college that you had to write and you spent all your time planning it and coming up with cool ideas but ultimately ran out of time and turned in a last minute, hurried up C grade effort? Your heart was in the right place but without discipline, foresight , and reasonable goals it kinda didn’t work out too well.

TLDR:

* The website is pretty much all micro transactions
                    * CryEngine is not really viable for the scope and MMO nature
                    * Game balance is a concern with players purchasing thousand dollar ships
                    * Kickstarter comments show massive evidence of disgruntled backers
                    * Graphically the game is becoming outpaced by other games because technology continues and evolves as production methods become more efficient
                    * StarCitizen’s forums are heavily censored against ‘dissident comments’ reminiscent of MLM’s, scientology etc.
                    * Development appears to be backwards
                    * Creator has a personality cult and a history of over promising and under delivering

TLDR the TLDR: | development hell | microtransactions | Censorship | Wrong engine | Personality cult | Fundamentally issues with Core model

Emotional outro: I don’t want this game to fail, it’s like watching a failing relationship. You want it to work but you know when it’s time to leave it alone and just sort of hope it fixes its shit sometime in the future, you highly doubt it but you kinda want it to so you just leave it alone.

Final note: Again I have bad grammar, sorry. Pm me my mistakes and I will update?

Viewing 8 posts - 937 through 944 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.