Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 889 through 896 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    dsmart
    Keymaster

New evidence of Sandi using backer-funded CIG premises for her acting stints. This time, it’s Xanthippe.

Greg Mantell’s Facebook page of shorts from earlier last month . There is also a handy imgur album online

Sandi’s recital in the promo video

Shoot wrap-up at CIG

Greg’s video of the CIG space door

For sometime now, the notion that she was using the LA office – and backer money – to fund her flailing acting “career”, has been bandied about. Just last year, several pictures from the old office emerged, along with accusations that the movie at the time, was funded with backer money, filmed with CIG cameras (bought with backer money) etc. She denied it.

This is the same lavish office where they’ve spent a fortune of backer money. Money that’s not going into the game’s development. Office that’s now regularly used by Sandi for her acting sessions.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Nope, not at all.

So much for that then.

As a crowd funded project, Star Citizen’s scope is based directly on the support provided by our backers. Money pledged goes directly to the game’s development.

dsmart
      Keymaster

GAME WISDOM TALKS TO SPACE GAME JUNKIE

This week on the cast, returning guest and owner of Space Game Junkie Brian Rubin stopped by to talk about games, Star Citizen and we got to share some war stories of running ever-growing game sites.

Talking Shop With Space Game Junkie

It’s been awhile since we had a low key cast, but Brian and I spent the time talking about as many game-related tangents we could think of: From Star Citizen and the space genre, to the challenges of being an Indie developer and early access, and even getting on the subject of the ravages of age. We did talk about some games we were playing as I brought up Duskers and SPAZ 2 and Brian talked about the game Iron Sky Invasion and Elite Dangerous. We also talked about some of the different games that attract or push us away, including our mutual dislike of the visual novel genre.

Make sure to listen to our very special moment, when we both confronted the enormity of our Steam and GOG addictions. Will it stop us from buying more games? Probably not, but at least we know we have a problem.

We did manage to get on topic at least once talking about the debate of long-term game design and what it means for games like Payday 2 and Star Citizen. This also brought up the topic of Stellaris and Paradox Software’s method of long-term and DLC-focused design with their games.”

http://game-wisdom.com/podcast/space-game-junkie

https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/oped/come-friends-discuss-star-citizen/

TRANSCRIPT:

Someone asked me this the other day, why don’t you have more STAR CITIZEN videos on your blog? And I answered them, ‘because I can’t download it’. Because every time I try to download it, it just STOPS. It just STOPS and I’m like ‘I’m DONE with you, I’m done with your LAUNCHER, I don’t want to sit here for 30 hours just to download ONE GAME’.

Someone actually emailed me and said, “You know what? If you turn off everything that uses the internet so that nothing can interrupt it, it’ll be FINE”, I’m like NO! I’m not doing that for one game! I’m not turning off my STEAM and my whatever to… NO! You’re RIDICULOUS! I appreciate the advice, but NO! So I haven’t played STAR CITIZEN in about… a year? And… um… I’m gonna make a CONFESSION to you, I bought a few SHIPS for it, and then I sold them at a PROFIT like six months ago… and then I bought a LIFETIME KEY for ELITE DANGEROUS! Because ELITE DANGEROUS is a game I can play RIGHT NOW.

And someone will be like, “oh you can play STAR CITIZEN”, noooo not really, I saw… have you ever heard of BAD NEWS BARON? He’s a streamer? He’s a FULL TIME STREAMER, it’s what he does, and he’s a big STAR CITIZEN proponent, so I watched a stream of him and a bunch of people playing STAR CITIZEN the other day and I’m like, ‘aaaaaahhhhhh… this game’s not gonna be done until TWENTY TWENTY TWO… MAAAAYBE…’

I… I mean I still have bought into it, so I still have a SHIP and everything once the game is READY, I’m just like, ‘I’ve got other stuff to play you guys… like ELITE, which ACTUALLY WORKS RIGHT NOW’,

Q:

What are they doing like FUNDING WISE, I just went on their SITE for the first time and I see that there’s…

They’re still selling ships! They’re still selling ships, they’re still selling… having SALES on SHIPS, ships that aren’t even DONE YET, ships that you can’t even FLY… people are still buying them! Man if that’s… that’s… you know, how your COOKIE crumbles that’s GREAT, that’s not how I’m… that’s not how ME works… wow I can’t even talk anymore… But like um… like… like… I don’t… I mean… and they’re still… you can still BUY, I think, you can still SPEND MONEY for IN GAME CREDITS I think… I think I saw a video were now you can buy PANTS in the game… for your CHARACTER…

It’s a CLOTHING STORE, it’s like a FUTURISTIC GAP and you can actually buy… So yeah, I’m at my… I used to be a huge like ‘oh my god this game is gonna be great’, but as it gets FARTHER and FARTHER away from the date they gave us in KICKSTARTER, back when we got it… like, it was supposed to come out in 2014, and they just kept ADDING STUFF and ADDING STUFF and ADDING STUFF… like I think one of the stretch goals was a FISH TANK for your hangar at one point… it was like sixty some million or something, and they PASSED IT, of course they did, and uh… and it’s like, OK, I don’t… I don’t… I’m just gonna… I’m just… I’m just gonna put you in the back of the ROOM for now, I’m gonna deal with the people… the GAMES up front here, that I can PLAY right now and that actually WORK… and I’ll come back to you! Later! I’ll check in on you… NEXT YEAR… when I’ve UPGRADED, that’s probably what I’ll do, when I’ve upgraded my computer in a year or two, I’ll try you again. Like even before I install STEAM or anything I’ll install THAT just to see what it’s like.

But… last time I tried it, I couldn’t configure my JOYSTICK. Or my THROTTLE. Or my PEDALS. Or my HEADTRACKING. Uhm… and… and… like… it took FOREVER to get into a match, and I couldn’t… I couldn’t ENJOY it. So, I just like… ‘yeah, we’re DONE. For now. We’re just DONE.’

It’s just… it’s such a SHAME.

Q:

I’m looking at these STRETCH GOALS and there’s a voice in my head saying, ‘this is just all BULLSHIT’. I’m looking at the SIXTY FOUR MILLION DOLLAR STRETCHGOAL, which is the PET ONE that you were just mentioning. You’re telling me that it costs ONE MILLION DOLLARS to add a PET SYSTEM in the game? That doesn’t make sense.

But all those FISH are INDIVIDUALLY MODELED and they have their OWN AI and… and.. each SCALE is individually RENDERED and… I don’t know…I have no idea any more…

Eventually I believe they stopped adding stretch goals, I think they did that a while ago but… I got other stuff to PLAY right now, I mean there’s ELITE coming out with NEW STUFF and they’re already, you know, past 1.0… there’s just a TON of games out that I can play RIGHT NOW. Or look, I can go BACK and play WING COMMANDER, or I could play FREESPACE 2, you know, if I want that EXPERIENCE. I don’t… need you right now, it’s so… it’s so… it’s so FRUSTRATING. It’s SO FRUSTRATING.

Q:

This is just really showing those tell-tale signs of a game that’s GOING to CRASH AND BURN. Cos it just feels like there’s no, like… PLAN… like they’re just like ADDING STUFF by throwing darts on a BOARD. This is similar to what happened with PLANETARY ANNIHILATION, and how they hit ALL their stretch goals and I think it just OVERWHELMED them and… I know earlier this year they announced for STAR CITIZEN, there’s now going to be a complete STORY BASED SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN, I think MARK HAMILL and GARY OLDMAN are gonna be in it?

I mean that was probably the original THING, was that there was gonna be SQUADRON FORTY-TWO and it was gonna be the more WING COMMANDER-Y single player portion of the game, I mean that was there from the get-go but then… MARK HAMILL? And… and… GARY OLDMAN? And… and… the… the woman I… from the X-FILES, I can’t remember her name… GILLIAN ANDERSON… yeah SHE’S in it, it’s like, ‘Oh! Yeah, yeah, like BIG NAMES’, it’s like oh, so THAT’S where our MONEY’S GOING.

And then you see like VIDEO of their OFFICES, like they’ve got… one of their offices has a DOOR that looks like it’s from a SPACESHIP. Like… CUSTOM DOOR. It’s like, is that what our… yeah. Is that REALLY what our money… when I saw that I was like ‘OK, I… I’m just gonna… IGNORE this’

COMMENTARY:

For those who aren’t familiar with Brian Rubin, he is the blogger behind “Space Game Junkie”. He was an early enthusiast for Star Citizen, and conducted a lengthy interview in March of 2013 with the always-gracious-with-fanboys Chris Roberts. (I’m not being snide here, btw– whatever his faults, he’s always been gracious with his fans.)

In July of last year, Rubin decided to stop featuring Star Citizen on his Space Game blog, and wrote a post explaining why he wasn’t giving the game more coverage:

SPACEGAMEJUNKIE.COM: “Come, My Friends, We Need to Discuss Star Citizen

Rubin recently was a guest on the Game Wisdom podcast, and a discussion of Star Citizen ensued.

Star Citizen discussion begins at 1:31:37.

I highly recommend listening to this dialogue. 

Rubin could hardly be accused of being a Goon or Derek Smart devotee– he is just a hardcore enthusiast for Space Games. He loved Wing Commander games, considers Starflight one of the greatest games of all time, he features indie games constantly on his blog and YouTube channel — yet he has arrived at the same conclusions about Star Citizen that we’ve written about since last year, as has his interviewer.

They touch on several Star Citizen topics– the huge download size, joystick issues, lack of depth, BadNewsBaron, space pants, missed release dates, his sale of his ships at a profit, Squadron 42, reasonable development cycles vs. open-ended ones, fish tanks, ludicrous stretch goals, the cyclical nature of Space Game enthusiasm, and his fears that Star Citizen’s possible failure down the road might bring another long winter to the game genre he loves most.

lir big
        Participant

More and more a Cult. Tagging people “rotten apple” , “sane apple” aka /herbalife, ACN,etc .
          Instead of profit CIG promises a game , wich provides this genius move of removing the use of intermediary people . Doing so, they shorten the whole system to a 3 steps pyramid : Backers>Employees>Head &Special guests (Hamill, INN, etc) .

Just anyone tell me there has not been some con brain(s) operating right from the begining please .

Hyco Cam
          Participant

Had not seen the full sized cardboard Yoko Gardiner promo display.  That is simply awesome on so many levels.  Now I want one!  Talk about an awesome collector’s item.  Who wouldn’t want a life-sized cutout of the most toxic person at CIG?  Hopefully each whale is sent one complimentary–it would be a great addition to their lonely flat.

Backer42
            Participant

The page has gone blank. That’s official confirmation.

With the tag thingy being in the “legacy” section, I guess a Zendesk update caught them by surprise.

dsmart
              Keymaster

Yeah, looks like they’re scrambling to remove it. Anyway, someone made a video.

Also, a thread (archive.is) that appeared on CIG website was completely removed.

Martijn Otto
                Participant

Luckily, there’s always forum rule 7b:

“Even assuming what the OP is quoting is true, forum rule 7b requests people not to discuss Customer Service interaction”<br style=”text-align: left; font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;” /><br style=”text-align: left; font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;” />Thread closed

Hyco Cam
                  Participant

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="720"]Yoko Which one is cardboard?  </p> But more importantly, how great is SQ42 going to be?  The game creator put his wife in the game!  That has to mean it will be great, right?  Gary Oldman didn’t even get a cardboard cutout.  All Gary got was an animated gif, which I bet he loves.[/caption]

Viewing 8 posts - 889 through 896 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.