Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    dsmart
    Keymaster
      MDrake SC
      Participant

I made a custom xml set for my warthog, and it was the smartest thing to ever do. Though I had to update it whenever a new patch hits, and changes something not documented.

The fact they cannot get basic controls sorted out this late into development, or even AC release… I have to wonder if the folks hired by Chris are even semi competent for their loyalty. The standard binds for any of the joysticks, are dirt terrible. I do have other joysticks to verify CIGs stupidity.

The Controller Katamari is still one of the saddest things to read. Those deluded folks think someone at CIG cares, they hope to convince Chris to make major changes… So sad, and funny.

MDrake SC
        Participant

I didn’t realize Batgirl was in the $4000 range. All she has now is a forum badge from the vanguard minigame. That goon observer was a brave soul. Insane, but with a purpose. More evidence to stretch the definition of “alpha.”

The Redbull article doesn’t have any comments enabled. I am curious how the white knights would take the article.

dsmart
          Keymaster

Well, I hate to say “I told you so“, but less than five months after I wrote that first “Interstellar Citizens” blog back in July, explaining why CryEngine was a very poor choice for the new “vision 2.0” game (not the original “vision 1.0” we all originally backed) that Chris wanted to build and why, as a result, the game as pitched could never be built…

Right from the start in 2012 when they said that they were using CryEngine3 as their baseline, I was skeptical. But if they kept the scope, and scene sizes manageable, I felt that it was totally doable.

Once the feature creep and increased scope started to unfold, I knew they were in trouble.

Remember what I said earlier that there is no game engine on the planet that would power the game I wanted to build, and that I’d have to build it? Yes, same thing here. That is precisely why all the top-tier developers build their game engines around the game they’re making. And even those who end up licensing middleware game engines do so based on the fact that they are making a game that fits within the framework of the engine they’re licensing. Nobody is going to license UE4 to develop a flight sim.

That CE3 engine is, first and foremost, a first-person engine. Second, it is geared toward small scale session-based games. Now imagine using a level-based engine, suited for first-person games, and trying to build an open persistent world with it. That’s like me trying to outfit my Tesla with the engine from a Prius. Bad things can and will happen.”

Today he finally – on the record – admits that I was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHLwAuM1J8c&feature=youtu.be&t=9m16s

Basically if a cup is sitting on this table and it’s not moving there’s no reason for it say “update” there’s no reason for it to do anything over the network. CryEngine doesn’t really work that way so we’ve been spending a lot of time and we still are spending a lot of time trying to fix and refactor that. You’re sort of seeing problems that come with the CryEngine old way of doing things. Cause really it was built as a single player game so a lot of the updating is player centric but the problem we have is so for instance if there’s sixteen players on the Crusader map and they all go to different comms arrays well they’re all triggering different AI in different spots on the server and it’s running all these AI and then it’s also telling every single client what all these AI are doing but i’m flying around and i’m at comm array A over here and someone’s at comm array B over there, I don’t really need to know what’s happening in comm array B, I just need to know what’s happening in my area.

So we have to refactor the updating of the object and also the network messaging to it’s more specific to what people’s view is and that’s ongoing sort of network task we have and part of that is going to have a more efficient network version for simple rigid bodies so you can have the cups on the table and you can have more props around. The idea would be to physicalise chairs, props like that so you can push them around or whatever. If you’re flying in your ship and the gravity goes off and you haven’t bolted things down they could float and all the rest of the stuff. That is definitely our goal and you will see more of that as time goes on.”

Now we’re seeing the beginning of the excuses phase going into the inevitable catastrophic collapse of this once promising project.

4yrs. $101m. Nothing resembling a “game” promised, but a glorified CryEngine3 mod which they are now saying (as a reason for now refusing refunds) represents a “substantial part of the promised game“.

And here is some important piece of history that they have now seemingly buried:

The original FAQ which stated the following, was redirected back in 2013 to this new page (changed many times), after they completed the KS campaign:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Can you explain the stretch goals?

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. We intend to build the game that Chris Roberts described at GDC Online regardless, but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at a time, starting with Squadron 42, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more ships, systems, unique locations, animations and cinematic sequences.

MDrake SC
            Participant

About darn time… CryEngine was acceptable (enough) for the original game from the old website. I have been waiting for the excuse and begging phase. Let’s see how many whales cobble up the rest of their savings, benefits, and even loans to try and save this project.

“Refactor the updating of the objects and also the network messaging”… heh. Didn’t Chris delay the release of AC to redo the network stack? What the hell did they code back in 2014? What are they even using now?

It just proves again… Chris has been out of the industry for so long, he has no idea of the costs and technology involved, and scope creeped the project from the very beginning. They really should have made the single player game and coop campaign first. But nope. Motion capture and movies.

Maybe there will be a new Idris variant for sale? The corvette still hasn’t been seen. Just like with LTI, maybe the F8 lighting will finally be released.

lir big
              Participant

I believe they had all modules, hangar, arcorp, pu map, race and AC ready and complete as tech demo back at late 2013, and initial plan was to make them playable by 2014. Then they went nuts, reallocating resources onto promoting content and marketing. Few people left to work on actual hangar and AC . F42 assigned to comercials realisation. Illfonic messing up and waisting an entire year. When CR had come back from his mocap holidays there was nothing to show. So now since september they’ve been rushing it and took the work back on modules from where it was left at ,in 2013.
                people just don’t see the cashgrab company it has muted into.

B B
                Participant

About ilftonic, I would love to know what happened there. Their name has been thrown in the mud because of SC.
                  If I was the CEO I would be pissed of by all the slander, for all we know they did perfectly what they where asked to do.

MDrake SC
                  Participant

It’s been brought to my attention (glancing chatter at various places) that the CE procgen (mod) tutorial says, “In this article by Sean Tracy and Paul Reindell, authors of CryENGINE 3 Game Development: Beginner’s Guide”, yes, they are important employees at CIG. And… uh… what?

Did people forget that Dan Tracy is also an employee at CIG? Oh wait, was an employee, the lead technical designer, left in October. “Criminal” and “Kamikaze” were part of the MWLL team. Both extremely talented brothers that joined Crytek.

Why did Dan leave? After all, he has the skills and talent to help make the BDSSE, through a modified CryEngine. You would think… since Chris needs a heavily modified CE, Dan would be on the project, when there is serious work that needs to be done. He was at CIG since February 2013. He has been working on this custom CE for so long, losing him in any way would be detrimental towards progress.

Alpha 2.0 is too darn buggy, and one of the original custom CE devs is gone. It’s impressive no one questions these things.

Instead, white knights are saying that Derek took Chris’ quote out of context to slander SC again. “Selective perception” being one insult. Total lack of slightly critical thinking to connect what Derek and Chris are saying… The custom CryEngine still needs a massive amount of work to even begin to go MMO.

As an old backer, I never voted for SC to become a MMO. I also miss Dan. I hope he finds good work.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.