Star Citizen – Extinction Level Event

Forums Main Star Citizen – Extinction Level Event

Viewing 8 posts - 73 through 80 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    starchip
    Participant

“Its going down… its going down hell fast…”

— random nerd speak

lir big
      Participant

Absolutely; I mean look at that :
        10 for the chairman, last question.

Edit : they’re even talking about this on  the forums.

Fiasco after fiasco it’s been a great week.
        Please CIG MOARRRRRR of this 😀

dsmart
        Keymaster

From BDSSE! to Minimum Viable Product

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="768"]Derek Smart was right Derek Smart was right[/caption]

This is what I stated back in July 2015 in my first Interstellar Citizens blog.

Without disrespect to anyone, I’m just going to say it: it is my opinion that, this game, as has been pitched, will never get made. Ever.

There isn’t a single publisher or developer on this planet who could build this game as pitched, let alone for anything less than $150 million.

The original vision which I backed in 2012? Yes, that was totally doable. This new vision? Not a chance.

The technical scope of this game surpasses GTAV, not to mention the likes of Halo.

Do you have any idea what those games cost to make and how long they took?

Do you know how many games which cost $50 million to make took almost five years to release? And they were nowhere in scope as Star Citizen?

Here is what he said in July 2015 following that blog:

There are people out there who are going to tell you that this is all a BADTHING. That it’s ‘feature creep’ and we should make a smaller, less impressive game for the sake of having it out more quickly or in order to meet artificial deadlines. Now I’ll answer those claims in one word: Bullshit!

Is ‘feature creep’ a worry? Sure… it’s always a worry, and we are well aware of it. However, building the game to the stretch goals embraced and endorsed by the community is not feature creep!”

Well, this is part where everyone starts chanting “Derek Smart was right

Less than one week after this latest blog went live, Chris, on April 18th, did another broadcast in which, in no uncertain terms, declared that, as I had said back in July 2015, the game he pitched, simply couldn’t be built.

In that broadcast (starts at 23:08) he stated that the first commercial release of Star Citizen, for which he had already been given, at that point, $112M dollars to deliver all he promised, will not contain the full product promised. He stated that a “minimum viable product” is what will be delivered. Read this and this.

“10 for the Chairman: Episode 83

Apr 18, 2016 @ 23:20

Q: Have you had any thoughts on the direction CIG will go after Star Citizen is finished? Do you think you could put all that you as a company have learned and developed into creating additional content?

“Well yeah, absolutely.  I think I’ve said this for quite a long time but Star Citizen is never going to be finished and I don’t think people would say EVE is finished or World of Warcraft is finished now.  Star Citizen will go on, that universe will go on as long as anyone is out there wanting to play in it – which I’m hoping will be for a long time obviously.  The games I mentioned have been 10 years plus.

So, really what we’re doing with Star Citizen is we’re working on the game, adding features for an incredibly ambitious design – I don’t think there is any other game that is trying to do as much as we’re trying to do.  So, degree of difficulty 11, not 10.  And, we’ll have what we determine is a minimum viable product feature list for what you would call Star Citizen the commercial release which is basically when you say, “Okay, we’ve gotten to this point and we’ve still got plans to add a lot more cool stuff and more content and more functionality and more features…” – Which by the way includes some of the later stretch goals we have because not all of that is going to be for ‘absolutely right here’ on the commercial release.  But we’ll have something that we’ll think, ‘Okay yeah, not everyone can play it but it doesn’t matter – you can load it up, it plays really well, it’s really stable, there’s lots of content, there’s lots of fun things to do, different professions, lots of places to go, we’ve got a really good ecosystem.’  So, when we get to that point that’s when we would say, “Now it’s not alpha, it’s not beta, it’s Star Citizen 1.0.”

But of course the team is going to absolutely continue working on it, just like if you look at World of Warcraft – they continue to add content and features all the time.  The same happens on EVE.  We will update stuff, so we’ll update the graphics, we’ll add new functionality, new content, new systems, coming across additional alien races – all that kind of stuff will be there.  So, we’re going to work on this as long as you guys let us or support us doing it, because the world’s huge.  There’s so many things to do out there.

It’s the same on Squadron 42.  Once we’ve told the Squadron 42 trilogy then we’re going to move on and we’ll have other stories we’ll tell.  Maybe they’re not necessarily military stories, maybe it’s more an adventure – sort of a Han Solo style adventure.

It’s just a huge universe, you know.  Look what Disney’s doing with Star Wars.  They’ve got a whole roadmap of the main ones and the spinoff ones and all the rest of the stuff.

So, you know, I think Star Citizen has the possibility to have a huge interesting universe.  We’ve really put a lot of effort into the lore of it.  I mean, you see from the very beginning that’s one of the things that we made foundational.  Dave and his team constantly are fleshing out the world in addition to writing stuff for the Squadron series as well as doing stuff for the PU.

You know, we want to make this world as livable and believable and you guys spend many years adventuring around in it.  And I think in today’s world, it’s not the way it used to be… where it was like, ‘Here’s a game, then you put it on the shelf, and then you come back to another game a year or two years later and you sort of iterate it.’  You know, where you have Grand Theft III and IV and V come out.  I think with us, we’re just live and we’re just continually improving and adding stuff and more people are having fun and adventuring around.  So, kind of like what we’re doing right now but obviously with more features and more content.  Better stability, better performance under our belts and then at a certain point we’ll say, “Yup, ready for the full general public,” there you go.”

Bonus lols

Josquin
          Participant

Is this part of the “extinction level event”, or am I missing something?  The only thing going extinct so far are my brain cells while wading through this “commentary”.

starchip
            Participant

SOON TM

dsmart
              Keymaster

[quote quote=3110]Is this part of the “extinction level event”, or am I missing something? The only thing going extinct so far are my brain cells while wading through this “commentary”. [/quote]

No. The E.L.E is in full swing and in fact, a part of came to light in the latest 104TC

Kristoffer S
                Participant

There still is no Uppsala Maffia, it’s a fictious name given by the swedish tabloid to 2 criminal people, that does not a maffia make. But in your way of exaggerating facts, it fits perfectly being able to connect CIG with “maffia”. That it’s poor company to keep, absolutely, but still …

And sure I was speculating. But I said that it was “my conclusion” so made it clear I was speculating. You are speculating and stating it as fact or something you’re 100% sure on. You predicted CIG would start falling early January when you said “I give them two months”. They are still at it.

letitfail
                  Participant

A minimum viable product feature list.  I love it!

Should not be too long now for me to make a reasonably accurate timer counting down to the end. Of course if CIG wants to do honest marketing (well, in a relative sense) they would put up a very visible notifications before and during purchasing that not all promised features will be available on ‘full’ commercial release. To be honest I haven’t checked but I hazard the guess there are no such banners. Feel free to rake me over the coals if there are such things. Warning: obscure fine print no one reads does not count and I have doubts about that as well.

So the community reactions? People are concerned, however if you get your shovel and go digging into the sludge…

Well the shitizens seem to be operating on the basis that this all means most if not all their treasured features will be included. Still BDSSE! Misses! Chis is just ‘tempering expectations’ and that ‘the truth is being twisted’. The holy good word CAN NEVER be twisted I suppose.  Ah, how amusing it will be when reality catches up to even those hopeless cases and they are shitting themselves blind in rage.

Viewing 8 posts - 73 through 80 (of 155 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – Extinction Level Event’ is closed to new replies.