Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 265 through 272 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Hotsauce ShoTYME
    Participant

Sounds to me like they have some FPS stuff completed and ready to go just stringing along implementation to appear to be doing something with the PTU.

dsmart
      Keymaster

Yes, it’s impossible. A lot of us devs have discussed it at length and simply don’t see how they could possibly do this. Then again, maybe they have some brilliant people there – who thus far having never done it, let alone shipped any game with it – have come up with a ground-breaking solution.

It’s all bullshit really.

I envision that the game – if they complete the PU – will remain an instanced game; but maybe with match-matching and server browsing to make it easier to join servers. And if they can do more than 16 clients at a time; that would be a miracle given what we’ve seen thus far.

The project is FUBAR.

dsmart
        Keymaster

Yeah, I’m sure they’ve been working on some fps stuff to add to the PU; but it’s still not the Star Marine that was previously promised.

dsmart
          Keymaster

Someone said it best.

“I wonder if the backers realize how much they’re being bait-and-switched. Chris only ever wanted to make his fucking shitty movie, and he was always willing to sacrifice every other module at that altar. Now they’re near the end of their funds, all spent trying to build all of the modules like Star Marine, the PTU, and so on, but with Chris’s time-proven stupidity and mismanagement turning all that cash, and all that work, into a fine mist of piss on a summer breeze.

So now here we are, with all of the remaining funds being poured into the shittiest single-player space game we’re ever likely to see in our lifetimes. Why do people think they need more bug-testing on Arena Commander? Why the sudden laser-like focus on SQ42, when until now all the focus and all the fanfare was on the PU and Star Marine? Because with their remaining funds, Chris cannot complete SQ42 unless he diverts all resources to it. Every other module experiment is now a failure and a write-off. This is it – this is where the last of the money is going.

This is what Chris wanted to do, so he did it with the money given to him for another product, and another promise, entirely.

This was never about building a universe. It was about attempting to build a universe on the side, while fulfilling his personal desires as the main goal, front and center.

He could have chosen to scrap SQ42 and put all resources on the PU that all his backers want, but he didn’t. Backers got a hangar so they could see their ships and fantasize about their upcoming experiences, they got Arena Commander so they could better imagine what they would be like in combat, and they got the PTU, a barely-functional glimpse of how it would all tie together. Chris Roberts was not able to deliver both that universe, that the backers voted for with their dollars, AND the single-player mo-cap travesty he’s trying to shit out right now, before the funds started to dry up. So Chris Roberts had to make a choice.

Backers should never, ever forget that when the money got tight, and Chris had the tough choice on which part of the game to concentrate on, he chose himself. He chose to use backer money to build his personal pet project, and ignore the very project whose promise generated those funds in the first place.

It’s only January, but I’m going to nominate Chris Roberts for the Asshole of the Year award. Good job commando – you’ve earned it.”

And this person makes some valid points. Primary one being, since they do not yet have the tech to build/power what they promised for Star Citizen (aka Persistent Universe, PU), given all the engineering debt (take a look at the ship progress!), financial drain etc, and the fact that even at $106M, they are totally tapped out on selling JPEGs, the push for SQ42 is also related to how they can make money from it. Which is precisely why, contrary to the original plan, it is now completely episodic and beyond the original plan. Also, as of Feb 14th, they are going to split them into two products: Star Citizen and SQ42. Each sold separately.

And the recent Star Marine revelations is just the tip of the iceberg. Aside from what we now know, (1, 2) no doubt there is more to come.

dsmart
            Keymaster

One Single-Use Store Credit Buy-Back

Yes, the shafting of backers continues and is in full swing.

Naturally, the Goons explain the melting of ships in their own special way. Here the “clean” version.

If you melt a ship you get store credit. But ships bought w/ store credit can’t be sent as a gift to other players.

Buy a ship with cash. Melt for store credit.

Later, buy a cheaper ship for cash, use store credit to put upgrades on that ship.

Gift that ship.

Ex:

Buy awesome_ship.jpg for $500 real money (can be gifted).

Then awesomer_ship.jpg comes out, and you want it but can’t afford it.

Melt awesome_ship.jpg for $500 store credit.

Buy awesomer_ship.jpg for $500 store credit (can’t be gifted).

Read DSmart thread.

You now have $500 in the game that you can’t get refunded, and your awesomer_ship.jpg is account bound.

Melt awesomer_ship.jpg for $500 store credit.

Buy 2x not_so_awesome_ship.jpg for $40 real money (can be gifted).

Apply $250 worth of upgrades with store credit to turn no_so_awesome_ship.jpg into awesomest_ship.jpg (can still be gifted).

Sell 2x awesomenst_ship.jpg on grey market (get money through PayPal, send as gift on RSI website)

lir big
              Participant

In today’s RTV, the answer to this is basically dodging as usual. “Stay tuned, the new unmelt system will be upgraded”. Basically.
                Also the censorship machine still working, though these stupids don’t know a deleted comment can still be seen in twitch chat?
                Anyway I had a lot of fun with some of the epic comments Goons have posted.
                Of course there was absolutely nothing interesting on CIG side, exept maybe that Ben was like shitting on himself all along with moon-white face, while Lando was deleting unappropriate comments.
                Oh and many thanks at the Goons for asking why we haven’t seen a single S42 footage so far. Anwser from CIG ? “we did it only by choice” Ahhhhhhh that’s explain all, I can go to bed now.

dsmart
                Keymaster

Looks like they banned anyone who asked any tough question. And mention Derek Smart is a perma-ban.

What was interesting to me are the following:

1) They decided to introduce two producers. Obviously in response to my statement about Jason being the only experienced snr. producer and who had now quit. Of course what most will probably miss is that neither Eric Davies (a cinematics guy!) nor Randy Vasquez can fill that role. And any good lead project manager knows the dangers of mis-matching personnel to roles.

2) They have completely changed the delivery promise of Squadron 42. I had stated months back that they would do this. Especially if they ever stood a chance of shipping any version of SQ42 this year.

A Goon summed it up from the stream. I will update this as I get more clarification.

Squadron 42 will be divided into 3 Episodes. Episode 1 is what people are paying for, Episode 2 is what older backers get, Episode 3 everyone pays for.

Episode 1 will be divided into 5 Chapters. Likely backers will only see Chapter 1 this year. Each Chapter has about 15 hours of gameplay.

Dogfighting will be identical to what’s already inside Arena Commander.

All of the performance capture done thus far is just for Episode 1.

Hotsauce ShoTYME
                  Participant

Each chapter of episode 1 better average out to 11 missions each or CIG will have a legal shit storm on its hand.

Viewing 8 posts - 265 through 272 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.