Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 9 through 16 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am curious why you keep focusing on the star marine module, saying it is canceled. It seems kind of like a tactic to trick uninformed people into thinking that the fps is being abandoned, implying that CIG has given up on implementing fps, when in fact the opposite is true.

People who follow this debacle should probably know that the whole ‘module’ release system was to test out certain mechanics of the game individually before CIG was able to integrate them into a seamless experience. So the ‘dogfight module’ was released so people could play and test the ship flight mechanics before social interaction and fps gameplay was working well enough to release. The ‘social module’ was released to test social stuff like chat, emotes, server stuff, whatever. The ‘fps module’ was going to be released to allow people to test fps mechanics before they were implemented into the full game.

For people who haven’t been following the game, saying the ‘fps module’ was canceled implies that fps mechanics are something CIG is having enough trouble with to suggest that they will never be in the game. This is very disingenuous because the fps mechanics are working and integrated into the game right now. I bolded that because it seems likely that someone whose only knowledge of the game comes from Derek Smart’s statements about the game would not ever have found out about this. The ‘star marine module’ is an afterthought to people who actually want to play the game, and the fact that CIG was able to skip that step is universally considered a good thing. Even by you, according to what you said in this comment you left on your End Game blog post, before comments were moved to this forum system: https://gyazo.com/fee8c98b0b6cd36184b224f6ca3d0738

You were talking about what you would do if you were to end up as the head of CIG, and the first item on your dev plan states

“01) Halt any/all production work on Arena Commander, Star Marine, Multi-Crew, PTU 2.0. No more updates…”

Now that the game is past the point were ‘modules’ are even needed, why are modules suddenly so important? The only thing missing between the full game any backer can play now and the module you are focusing on are re-spawning near the fight, and a scoreboard. Right now, if you want to play fps, you can. The only difference is that you spawn a couple million kilometers away, and you need to fly there in your jpeg spaceship.

Please explain to me how focusing on the lack of a scoreboard is anything but picking at straws.

dsmart
      Keymaster

@meat

I am curious why you keep focusing on the star marine module, saying it is canceled. It seems kind of like a tactic to trick uninformed people into thinking that the fps is being abandoned, implying that CIG has given up on implementing fps, when in fact the opposite is true.

Actually I am not. It is canceled. Chris confirmed that himself; then clearly stated that it was going to be rolled into the PU. And unless you weren’t paying attention, the SM module was a lot more than just fps. Go back and read up on it.

It has nothing to do with “fps being abandoned”. How is that even possible when fps (the old ver) is actually still in the game?

dsmart
        Keymaster
          Anonymous

“It is canceled. Chris confirmed that himself; then clearly stated that it was going to be rolled into the PU. And unless you weren’t paying attention, the SM module was a lot more than just fps. Go back and read up on it.

It has nothing to do with “fps being abandoned”. How is that even possible when fps (the old ver) is actually still in the game?”

It is not cancelled, or at least, they are not admitting to it being cancelled. According to what they say, Star marine was never cancelled, they are simply not releasing it until after 2.0. I think we all know how unreliable the words out of CR’s mouth are at this point. Just because I trust CIG to make the game doesn’t mean I don’t expect CR to say something stupid/wrong/wildly optimistic every time he opens his mouth. I don’t know what it is that he said that led to the conclusion that Star Marine is cancelled; either it was some poorly worded statement about them rolling fps into the 2.0 release, or maybe he actually did say it was cancelled.

The point is, CIG as a company has come out and said on multiple occasions that they intend to release star marine after 2.0. Which means CR probably misspoke. The new $100 million stretch goal should be a ball gag for Chris Roberts, because a vast majority of the damage to Star Citizen’s reputation seems to come from ‘Chris-isms’. You know, like setting deadlines years too early, and promising to put whatever niche thing someone asks for in the game (“Pets? Yea, sure, I’ll put pets in the game. You know what, I’ll even make a fully fleshed out veterinarian career, with a capital sized animal hospital ship for it too!”).

Anyway, here’s a picture I think everyone here will get a laugh out of. It’s a screen capture of a livestream, the moment that CR said 2.1 might be released before the end of the year. Everyone there has their own little reaction, but my favorite is Ben looking like CR just punched him in the solar plexus. All while CR looks at the camera like “I drop unrealistic deadlines, deal with it.”

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="1278"] CR doing what CR does.[/caption]

Hyco Cam
            Participant

Not too get too technical–but folks seem to forget that Star Citizen is being created using the CryEngine–you know, an FPS engine.  The fact CIG is having so much trouble with the FPS portion is a little weird.  Seems anything more than walking around an object and the water gets too deep for the CIG coders.  But the original Star Marine had FPS maps, the SATA ball game, a few different game modes–capture the flag, team, king of the hill–the stuff that makes for a FPS game.  That stuff was coming out in April of 2014.  The new date is now “some time in the future.”  If you have had a chance to play 2.0–you probably have a good idea that <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>”some time in the future” is years and years away.</span>

dsmart
              Keymaster

Yeah, that’s what people keep forgetting. Star Marine was not just pure fps; it had a lot more to it. All nerfed now.

dsmart
                Keymaster

LOL!!

Star Citizen soars past $100m as alpha 2.0 launches. Prompts call for game-spending regulations from Big Pharma dev.

MDrake SC
                  Participant

It’s always fun following Derek on Twitter. Watching SC is a full time job basically. Chris has broken another original promise. It has been expected that starter ships and packages for $45-60 will be sold though.

Story or rant below. Enjoy or ignore.

As a $2,500 backer whale thing… I was able to enjoy SC and AC. After all, I had many of the able to fly ships, and this was before the REC system ever was put in. Thanks to how broken the servers are, for me, earning REC was extremely not fun. My cash purchases for super hornet, stock hornet, 325A, M50, was what allowed me to have fun in racing, swarm, and free flight. Thanks to the number of ships I have, I could swap out for bulldogs and badger laser repeaters on many of my ships to be decently effective and have some pew pew fun.

Life with spending only $45? You have a crappy Aurora or Mustang. Both starter ships have been broken for a long time. Not fun to fly or maneuverable, unable to get good kills, and poorly equipped. Anyone that had serious fun with the starting ships is delusional and likely never played with the better combinations. The other whales that say ships are specific to certain purchases, have pros and cons, are defending their purchases with special or halfhearted snowflake status.

SC is a game built and tailored to whales. Showed signs of it back in 2014. Only got stronger. There is plenty of REC grind, and your REC rentals last 7 days at best. You have to rely on free fly weekends to build up more REC, and that is if the servers are stable enough to let you finish and get your REC. Plenty of advantages to those who paid at least $165… the amazing super hornet and ball turret, and the stock hornet can never get that ball turret. The gladiator was eventually introduced with totally broken, overpowered missiles, and left in that state for a few months. At least $150 or $165 for the Pay 2 Win ability. You will never be able to compete with someone competent and in good ships, with the weak starter ships. Mobility, shields, armor, firepower through cash, or an awful grind.

I am a hornet F7C+M omni-boater, repeater spitter, and gladiator missile spammer. I hate the mouse flight, but I will use the superior mouse aim to win. I will also steal kills in coop swarm to get more REC. Star Citizen has one of the most predatory finance and gameplay models around. It’s sickening to know I supported this project, before it showed scam traits thanks to Derek.

Viewing 8 posts - 9 through 16 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.