Star Citizen – General Discussions

Forums Main Star Citizen – General Discussions

Viewing 8 posts - 969 through 976 (of 1,084 total)
  • Author
    Ranger Man
    Participant

It’s probably a very good thing SC did not show up at E3. They would have looked like half-baked idiots.  Watching videos like Major Tom and others and seeing the issues such as no clothes, T-poses, can’t get in and out of ships, dying when you leave the ship, walking through and pushing NPCs through walls just highlighted how much of a mess up this game was. Five years, over 115 million dollars and they still couldn’t do the basics correctly told me they had some severe issues.  Even given poor management decent programmers/whatever should not be having these issues given a suitable game engine but they don’t have one.  Then there are all the red flags to my project management side such as all the features added and not concentrating on delivering the ships sold but instead giving us liquor cabinets for our hanger.  All this showed how much trouble Star Citizen is in and then we have the signs of a failing business with management getting desperate and refusing refunds, attacking/banning customers who have paid for something and denying access to it.  All signs of desperation.

Then I watched the E3 trailers and I know SC is dead despite the cultists and white knight denials.  COD: IW – has everything SC is supposed to have.  People have helmets and clothes, they can move in space, they’ve modeled damage, it’s a FPS, it has a universe, characters move like real people, there are zero g effects.  Mass Effect: Andromeda – same.  All smooth even during heavy action.  I haven’t found a trailer for No Man’s Sky yet so I can’t compare it.

Then I watched Morrows Tour and I see no action, just a museum tour of a partially completed ship with characters that don’t look or move realistically, the dialog is silly.  No action.  It’s like they are building a boring day in someone’s life.  It’s a walking simulator but instead of walking around a city you walk around space ships and get animation and dialog that was good in the late 80’s or early 90’s.

dsmart
      Keymaster

You don’t know the half of it. I just finished a new blog, “Star Citizen – The Finality Of Failure” and which will go live after E3 and once I’ve made whatever revisions my lawyers request.

dsmart
        Keymaster

The resident Goon effort poster, has one of his analysis up. In case you don’t have access, here is the full text.

If you want a vision of the purgatorial gaming experience that is Star Citizen, I invite you to watch Batgirl’s latest episode, “Star Citizen AA MORE FUN IN THE PU”

So, early in the video she notes that she’s running 2.4 on a machine that can run all other games in max settings with no difficulties whatsoever– on her overclocked 970, i7 (I think), liquid cooler, etc… But of course her frame rates are terrible through much of this.

She decides she’s going to earn some AlphaUEC by performing on the low-paying “let’s go flip a switch inside a satellite array” mission…

She parks her ship an absurd distance from the array. Why? Because she’s worried about being shot if she starts too close. If there’s one thing Chris Roberts has taught players, it’s fear of mortality. Death should have consequences– and by ‘consequences’, Chris means teleportation back to a bed a bazillion pretend miles away, followed by indeterminable sprint-a-thons through generic sci-fi hallways so you can mash a button on an ATM machine for spaceships which you sprint through yet more hallways to hopefully board, followed by flying through a bazillion miles of pretend space so you can get back to where you were before that oh so consequential death occurred.

—–

8:45 – PARKING THE SHIP – Batgirl parks her ship in the space boonies and starts floating her way towards the array. Over the course of the float, she notes “I’m finding, the game… It’s pretty much a boring game right now.” Well, yeah. Parking your ship over two minutes away from a mission objective that is as fun as flipping on a light switch does seem a bit light on the thrill factor…

10:55 – ARRIVAL AT THE ENTRANCE – Finally, she’s floated her way to the outside of the array. The mission begins!

11:25 – MISSION COMPLETE – Thirty seconds are spent floating through the bowels of the ship to flip the all important ON switch. Uplink online! 1000 credits earned!

11:59 – ESCAPE! – After some frightening encounters with giant pipes and a non-fatal bonk on the noggin, she’s finally FREE!

13:39 – RETURN TO THE SHIP – She is back in business, 1000 temporary credits richer!

——

Now, lets ignore the fact that she repeats the mission at other arrays, and fast forward to yet another moment of such absolute absurdity that it must be watched to be fully appreciated.

21:51- THIS PART SAYS EVERYTHING“In real life, I’m freaking awesome at landing an airplane! But I can’t land a spaceship to save my frickin’ life!”

Now, you can watch the whole thing from the link above if you want, but if you want to get to the final indignity she endures for the sake of the game she clearly loves, watch her make her final attempt at landing.

36:32 – TOUCHDOWN! – What else do you need to know about this game?

She spent 40 minutes playing and, so far as I can tell, earned 3000 temporary credits. (Please correct me if I’m wrong- I wasn’t watching THAT closely.) A fun exercise would be digging into the 2.4 stores and seeing what that 40 minutes of play time earned her.

More fun in the PU, indeed!

dsmart
          Keymaster

In case you haven’t heard, there is a space motorbike, the Drake Dragonfly, going on sale today. You know, for those whales with more money than sense.

For the rest of you, here is a friendly reminder:

dsmart
            Keymaster

Oh wow. Look at those upvotes! I just cancelled my subscription

dsmart
              Keymaster

In today’s Star Citizen ReverseTheVerse, Ben Lesnick said he was excited to see the natural evolution of Wing Commander at E3. Called COD:IW. I kid you not. Here, listen for yourself. I don’t even know what to say at this point. Seriously.

Ranger Man
                Participant

You can’t make this stuff up and if you did nobody would believe you.  Bangs my head on table.  WC evolution is what SC was supposed to be but instead we get fish tanks, liquor cabinets, commandos without clothes, ships that don’t work all for 115 million or so (the bugs are free though).  It’s the end for SC.  COD:IW alone has all SC is supposed to deliver as will Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Some time ago, maybe late 2013 someone wondered in a column or blog about the  concept of selling jpgs.  They felt within limits it was okay as at first but were worried that creating and selling jpgs would be an end in itself instead of taking the money you got and making the ships you already sold worked (assuming you had a working universe).  How right they were.

When does your blog get published?

Ranger Man
                  Participant

I followed your link to the announcement about the closing of the original Planetside servers (https://t.co/pUEQKB3pII).  I never played or was aware of the game but it came out in 2003 and allowed hundreds of players according to the Wikipedia article.  But wait, SC will do that and it’s never been done before (according to CR) so who do I believe <G> </sarcasm>.  Okay, Chris, so what’s so new about SC?  FPS – done before. Trading, mining, all the other stuff – done before.  Multiplayer on-line – done in 2003 with Planetside!

Viewing 8 posts - 969 through 976 (of 1,084 total)
                  • The topic ‘Star Citizen – General Discussions’ is closed to new replies.